Pan Law Panning

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
mattvorn

Pan Law Panning

Post by mattvorn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm

As most of you know, Ableton's panning is essentially stereo levelling, it doesn't follow pan law like Logic, Pro Tools etc... Logic recently introduced the option to have Pan Law panning, you can enable it or disable it simply in the settings.

Since having a good stereo image can make your track stand out in terms of mix, it's essential to be able to utilise pan law in mixing. I'm aware external plug ins can do this, but it would just be hassle free and nice if an option to enable pan law could be introduced in the next version of Live.

I'll be investing in Live 9 Suite next week, if there is pan law introduced in live, I wouldn't need to have pro tools, or logic as well and therefore I can go full on Ableton.

Thanks, and I really hope this feature will be implemented, and again, not as a feature pushed onto people, but optional in the settings so that people can use stereo levelling or "true" stereo panning.

- Mathew

jlgrimes

Re: Pan Law Panning

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:05 pm

mattvorn wrote:As most of you know, Ableton's panning is essentially stereo levelling, it doesn't follow pan law like Logic, Pro Tools etc... Logic recently introduced the option to have Pan Law panning, you can enable it or disable it simply in the settings.

Since having a good stereo image can make your track stand out in terms of mix, it's essential to be able to utilise pan law in mixing. I'm aware external plug ins can do this, but it would just be hassle free and nice if an option to enable pan law could be introduced in the next version of Live.

I'll be investing in Live 9 Suite next week, if there is pan law introduced in live, I wouldn't need to have pro tools, or logic as well and therefore I can go full on Ableton.

Thanks, and I really hope this feature will be implemented, and again, not as a feature pushed onto people, but optional in the settings so that people can use stereo levelling or "true" stereo panning.

- Mathew

I think Ableton has a -3 db pan law hard coded in the interface. I'm pretty sure Reason has a 0 db pan law. -3 db is more standard and seems to be smoother in my ears. That said it would be good if this was configurable as Reaper gives you plenty of options here.

Ableton does lack stereo panning (I think) but this probably could be created with a Rack and I'm pretty sure there are some freeware stereo panners.

Angstrom

Re: Pan Law Panning

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:01 pm

The OP seems to be confusing Pan Law and the Stereo Balance issue. Two different things.
Live uses the 3db boost Pan Law .