Need a new machine for live gigs. In 2017 - Mac or PC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thegyratinggiblet

Need a new machine for live gigs. In 2017 - Mac or PC?

Post by thegyratinggiblet » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Background: I transitioned from an MPC2000XL in 2004 to a PPC G5. Thing was built like a tank. It ran till I could upgrade it no more. Bought a second hand white macbook 2006, around 2007. Still got it. Still DJ with it. :D Saw a dude running a live PA off the same model just the other day!

Then the iphone came out and Steve Jobs died. All that shit changed.

Bought a second hand 2008 macbook pro - have had graphics card issues again and again. Machine is now dead. Not worth repairing again. My mate got a recon 2012 mbp a few years ago that has been back to Apple too many times since. Now they're bringing out machines with no USB port and touchbars that I don't need. (Not to mention built in obsolesence- my iphone 5 runs like a '98 nokia these days!)

I use Logic at home so am tied to my Imac for that stuff (fine) but playing live, I'm only using Ableton and utilising Link.

I need a new reliable machine for future gigs. From 2008 onwards to present day all I see is recall issue after recall issue with mb pros. Now do I spend another £1200-1500 on a new standard mbp or get a cheaper windows machine?

I welcome any and all your thoughts ladies and gentlemen!

Tarekith

Re: Need a new machine for live gigs. In 2017 - Mac or PC?

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 pm

I'd get a MacBook Pro if that's an option. It's the one laptop you see more than any other by far when you see touring pros. Plus I've used one for over 10 years and never had any issues live.

I don't think I've ever seen a MBP recall either....

thegyratinggiblet

Post by thegyratinggiblet » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm

thanks Tarekith. I have to agree I've yet to see anything other than a Macbook being used on stage in a live situation. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about though -

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/mac ... e-3497935/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:18 am

thegyratinggiblet wrote:Now do I spend another £1200-1500 on a new standard mbp or get a cheaper windows machine?
Well, for live gigging I'm contemplating building a travel case with a hackintosh, everything pre-connected with only cables sticking out to connect to DI/mixer. As big display as can fit inside on a folding stand that can be moved away and hidden. This means getting to know every little component in the system. I'd probably bring a MBP anyway as backup for the first.

Main upside is I can stick an 8-core in there. More to carry sure, but nothing like 2 big crates of vinyl records. :mrgreen:

I think the quality of MBPs are stellar, despite the obvious shortcomings (I got one on repair now).

Another alternative would be a music-specific built laptop.
Make some music!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 am

You don't say if you have any experience running a PC. I would suggest at live gigs is the last place you want to be wrangling an unfamiliar OS and audio setup.

That said, I'm in kind of the same boat as you with a 2010 MBP that will probably die in the next 3-5 years. Im thinking of getting the last MBP I can that has like, actual ports I need. My current MBP has all the grunt I need as my sole studio and live machine, so getting a 2015/16 era model is what I'm leaning towards. You can still find them new, well here in NZ anyway.

Maybe that's an option for you rather than the latest... "iPhone Pro"?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

thegyratinggiblet

Post by thegyratinggiblet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks guys for all your input. Yeh I'm thinking bite the bullet for a new mbp. Devil you know and all that I guess. Hackintosh is a bit beyond me but that sounds like an interesting set up!

Thanks again. 8)

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:38 am

If you get a MacBook Pro you will have good assurance that your machine is pretty much set to go for live use.

If you get a PC, I would steer away from a cheap one. You will need to do your research. From what I hear gaming PCs tend to be pretty reliable for audio work but they tend to be a lot bulkier. That said there are slim models out there that are comparable to Macs but you will need to do some research and see what people are using for Live PC rigs.

What do you plan on using your PC for (DJing, Playing synths, recording other shows?, effects processing, triggering loops?).

All of that comes into consideration.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 am

thegyratinggiblet wrote:Thanks guys for all your input. Yeh I'm thinking bite the bullet for a new mbp. Devil you know and all that I guess. Hackintosh is a bit beyond me but that sounds like an interesting set up!

Thanks again. 8)
I would stay away from Hackintosh for live use. It kind of defeats the purpose of going Mac, Windows would probably be more stable in that case for a PC that's pretty much designed for Windows (or maybe Linux).

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:48 am

jlgrimes wrote:
thegyratinggiblet wrote:Thanks guys for all your input. Yeh I'm thinking bite the bullet for a new mbp. Devil you know and all that I guess. Hackintosh is a bit beyond me but that sounds like an interesting set up!
I would stay away from Hackintosh for live use. It kind of defeats the purpose of going Mac,
No, it doesn't. If you know what you're doing, or alternatively if you stand on the shoulders of giants that do know, the Hackintosh experience these days is extremely stable. I built a gaming hackintosh 2 years ago and have had zero issues. We didn't skimp on components, so there's high quality all trough. There's no way I'm going to run Windows.

Using Apple hardware is certainly a main attractive feature, but Apple has yet to deliver anything interesting with the right form factor I think.

Hackintosh builds are not for everyone though. You need to be knowledgeable, determined and comfortable around computer gear and know how to conduct tests.
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:15 am

a Hackintosh for gaming? but why?

thegyratinggiblet

Post by thegyratinggiblet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks again. People. Yeh Hackintosh is out the picture for me - I don't have the knowledge or time to get to grips with a personal build for now and that's the only way I'd do that, though I'd love to sometime.

@jlgrimes - I'm actually using Ableton for guitar processing laying down occasional loops and using the guitar as a sound generator for more esoteric effects, pads, washes lfo fx etc. I'm using a Yamaha MFC10 foot controller and a LaunchKontrol XL for midi input. Probably one external synth input as well. I'm not too CPU heavy (at this stage!).

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm

I dont want to hicjack the thread, but I had a bit of an eye opener recently. My laptop has been collecting dust for a looong time now, and being used to doing production only (on my desktop computer), it was quite a slap in the face when I started preparing a live performance for my laptop. A simple audio track with a Max for Live looping device and a VST effect (Turnado) easily pushes the CPU over 50%. In essence, I think I'll have to collapse all my other tracks to a few stems. A new laptop is not an investment I want to make now, so I just hope I can find a way to avoid hitting the CPU roof without being completely crippled.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

fishmonkey wrote:a Hackintosh for gaming? but why?
Because there is more to life than Windows only games? Because you can move the games to MBPs in the household during the summer. And even if you do games there is other stuff that simply won't do on a Windows rig. The Mac platform is magnificent. Only sore losers that don't know anything misses all the great Mac software out there (in my not so humble opinion), including games. Granted some will be Windows only, but that's life. And Windows is only a purchase and reboot away on any Mac with room to spare.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:42 pm

sporkles wrote:I dont want to hicjack the thread, but I had a bit of an eye opener recently. My laptop has been collecting dust for a looong time now, and being used to doing production only (on my desktop computer), it was quite a slap in the face when I started preparing a live performance for my laptop. A simple audio track with a Max for Live looping device and a VST effect (Turnado) easily pushes the CPU over 50%. In essence, I think I'll have to collapse all my other tracks to a few stems. A new laptop is not an investment I want to make now, so I just hope I can find a way to avoid hitting the CPU roof without being completely crippled.
What many people do is get some hardware modules for live gigs. That means some recreating of sounds, but as far as I'm concerned this comes with the territory.
Make some music!

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:05 am

fishmonkey wrote:a Hackintosh for gaming? but why?
I dual boot MacOS and Win10. Stellaris is MacOS friendly and it kills my workflow! :cry:
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x