Thinking about MIDI step input workflow

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SLEEarts

Thinking about MIDI step input workflow

Post by SLEEarts » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:56 am

Hello all,

I'm fully committed to a MIDI step input workflow using a piano keyboard. I tend to play with both hands, making it a real problem to use one hand to tap the arrow keys on the computer keyboard. I noticed that the forward and backward steps could be midi mapped and I rejoiced, thinking that I could almost certainly find some kind of simple foot pedal with two switches that could be mapped for this purpose.

I was surprised to find that such an item was tricky to find. I ended up ordering this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... HzEALw_wcB

I connected it today and, while it did send MIDI information (Ableton shows this as program change step forward and back on the pitch bend controller) it does not cause the cursor to step forward or backward.

2 questions:

1. Is it safe to assume that the failure to drive the steps is due to the type of MIDI message?

2. Is there another device on the market better suited for this? I would like it to use the 5-pin DIN if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

yur2die4

Re: Thinking about MIDI step input workflow

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:08 am

It looks like it is designed to select patches with midi program change. It'd be a good device to use for changing presets on a synth vst for instance.

What shows when you map it to things in Live? My guess is some kind of weird pitchbend text instead of a CC number and channel.

If you want a really cheap option, find an old USB keyboard and out it on the floor. Attach something above the two keys you map on it to step fwd and back and it'll be easy to press.