Sample Libraries on SSD or HDD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TheWholeDamnZoo

Sample Libraries on SSD or HDD

Post by TheWholeDamnZoo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 pm

I'm about to build a new PC, and I have most of my parts more-or-less figured out, but I have a question about storing sample libraries. I just got a Composer Cloud subscription, so I'm going to have at least a couple hundred GBs of samples. I'm planning to get a 3TB HDD, but debating between several option regarding the SSD. I'd love some input as to which option is the best (or if there's a better option I haven't thought of):

Option 1:
500GB m.2 SSD for system. Store sample libraries on HDD.

Option 2:
250GB m.2 SSD for system + 250GB 2.5" SSD for important sample libraries. Store the less important libraries on HDD.

Option 3:
250GB m.2 SSD for system + 500GB 2.5" SSD for all sample libraries.

Which one of these is the best option? Should I invest in an m.2 SSD for the sample libraries as well or is this overkill? Is 250GB m.2 enough for a system disk?

Tarekith

Re: Sample Libraries on SSD or HDD

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 pm

I don't know about "best", but option 1 is the way I do it and it's always been fine. If you go Thunderbolt or USB3 for the external drives load times are still fairly snappy.

TheWholeDamnZoo

Post by TheWholeDamnZoo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Tarekith wrote:I don't know about "best", but option 1 is the way I do it and it's always been fine. If you go Thunderbolt or USB3 for the external drives load times are still fairly snappy.
This was my original plan, but the reason I am hesitating is because I'm currently on my old computer (with no SSD, only 2TB HDD, with i5-3450 CPU and 10GB ddr3-1333) and it takes a while to load each of the EW libraries that are included in composer cloud, plus there is a bit of latency in playback. Now, it may not be the fault of the HDD since it is an older computer with older parts, but it makes me wonder, especially since these are huge libraries.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Put your most used (especially the big ones) on ssd, the other ones on hdd.
That's how I do and that's the best solution imho... Until the cost of ssd drops.
Ableton Forum Moderator

TheWholeDamnZoo

Post by TheWholeDamnZoo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 pm

[jur] wrote:Put your most used (especially the big ones) on ssd, the other ones on hdd.
That's how I do and that's the best solution imho... Until the cost of ssd drops.
That's why I thought about getting and 250GB m.2 SSD for the system instead of 500GB and the cheaper 2.5" SSD for the sample libraries. Sort of a happy middle. Also my understanding is that it's not the best idea to put the sample libraries on the same SSD as the system. What do you think?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 pm

I don't think that applies to SSD drives, they're way more than fast enough to load samples while doing other things.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 am

I don't see why this could be a problem, and it never proved to be in my experience. If you have the money go for the 500go.
Ableton Forum Moderator