Cannot hear exported .wav file of recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CityShoes

Cannot hear exported .wav file of recording

Post by CityShoes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:25 pm

I am a noob, trying to record my own music. I tried to Export a three-track set, and it seemed to go fine, but when I try to play the .wav file it tracks like it is playing, but there is no sound. I have one previous track that plays, and I cannot find a difference in any of the properties or settings. Does anyone have an idea about why no sound? Thanks.

mikb

Re: Cannot hear exported .wav file of recording

Post by mikb » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:26 pm

CityShoes wrote:I am a noob, trying to record my own music. I tried to Export a three-track set, and it seemed to go fine, but when I try to play the .wav file it tracks like it is playing, but there is no sound. I have one previous track that plays, and I cannot find a difference in any of the properties or settings. Does anyone have an idea about why no sound? Thanks.
Likely the bars you exported contain nothing. Where are the clips? In Arrangement or Session?
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

arretx

Post by arretx » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:50 am

This is always an audio routing issue. Select the starting and ending points of what you're going to record, then loop it so the loop brace is surrounding what you selected (at the top of the timeline.)

Make sure that each track's audio out is routed to the correct location, and when you export, make sure that the audio track you've chosen is either the Master or a group that you've created.

Before you export, click the loop brace to select all of your "loop."

Export.

Also make sure that you have your (IN/AUTO/OFF) set correctly on each track.
MacBook Air | Ableton Live 9.7.5 2017-10-02 | Advance 61 Keybaord w/VIP 3.0 | Launchpad Mini | Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 | iPad Pro / OnSong | Allen & Heath QU-32

lam8chop

Post by lam8chop » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:36 pm

If anybody is still running into this in 2023, another thing to look at is what audio codec you are using on your computer. I use ASIO4ALL due to latency issues on Windows. When I export a file and try to play it in VLC or iTunes or whatever, I can't hear anything. If I go into Options->Preferences->Audio->Driver Type in Ableton and switch it to MME/DirectX, then I am able to hear it. I was scratching my head for a minute because I could hear it when I would send the file to my phone or upload to Soundcloud.

If you're trying to listen on computer, just switch this setting and then switch it back to ASIO in Ableton when you're trying to make stuff again.

Edit: this also fixes some weird audio issues in video games after minimizing the screen, or in chrome where I otherwise need to switch audio outputs a couple times before getting things to play right.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:44 am

ASIO4ALL can't handle more than one program using the same output. So when you set Live to MME, you freed up ASIO4ALL and VLC was able to use it.