Clip only playing 1 bar...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
One Hanuman

Clip only playing 1 bar...

Post by One Hanuman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi working on a track and all of a sudden whenever I record a new clip and then play it back in the scene it automatically stops after 1 bar.... supposed to the 8 bars it has recorded in the clip.

Anyone have any idea?

I've searched the internet long and hard and i seem to be the only one to ever encounter this problem, I've literally ended up having to register simply for this reason.

McAnix

Re: Clip only playing 1 bar...

Post by McAnix » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Double check the clip's follow actions. It's easy to confuse the beat numbers for different divisions.

Could be loop on/off combined with a follow action.

One Hanuman

Post by One Hanuman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm

I figured it was the global quantisation preference being set to 1 bar instead of global.

One Hanuman

Post by One Hanuman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 am

Okay now its doing it again....

How do I check clip follow actions?

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am

When you select a clip there is a section called launch, you will find all the quantize and follow action settings there. I suggest watching a tutorial on clip follow actions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMk-LJna5Rs
All the best.

kvu

Post by kvu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi, wow, finally found someone having this problem too.
Could you solve it?

I'm having this regularly, though it goes away and comes back pretty unpredictably. I have no follow actions, quantization is set to global and it always affects all clips on the track. As soon as the clip starts the stop-button of the track is triggered. It's not accidentally mapped to any midi signal or key or whatever, and the clips have no automation. Also every now and then it's happening on another track.
The problem goes away most of the time when I close and reopen the set. This is why I fear its a bug. A very annoying one.
Going nuts about this.

Has anyone experienced this too or knows what I'm missing here?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 am

Strange that it would start and then stop.

Is the 'stop' function being triggered from a different clip slot or from the clip that is triggered? Is there any visual indication?

Also, what is your clip launch setting? It should for certain not be set to momentary.

kvu

Post by kvu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Clip launch is at trigger for most clips. But as I mentioned its nothing clip specific, it always the behavior of the track. Its not the stop function of a clip slot but the stop button of the track (just above the tracks input setting) which is triggered.

Klutzy

Post by Klutzy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:15 pm

I have the same issue. Checked all relevant opportunities for trigger/stop.
My working hypothesis is that it's related to cache. By restarting Ableton in full, the issue is resolved.
Long shot: could be as a result of saving the main ableton folder>file to an external disk source. Not sure.

MerkDak

Post by MerkDak » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:53 pm

I've been having this problem since upgrading from standard to suite.
Every new clip in every track does this. Checked all settings mentioned above.
I hace a Push 2. Even when I set it to record fixed length of 8 bars it does this: a new clip is created that's 8 bars long, but recording loops the first bar...

Buffalochips62

Post by Buffalochips62 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:29 pm

I am having this same problem. I have also researches extensively on line and found nothing. This is the only thread I have found on this topic and nobody from Ableton has posted a solution. I'm dead in the water on launching Scenes. Each track works properly if I launch the first clip, but scene launch doesn't get past the first measure. HELP !!!

TianKJ

Post by TianKJ » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:31 pm

I started having this exact same problem lately. Anyone found out what's causing it?