Routing Audio from Multiple Tracks to One Single Track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ishields

Routing Audio from Multiple Tracks to One Single Track

Post by ishields » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am

Hi, it seems something very simple and possible according to the internet, but I can't find any videos where anybody actually does it.

I want to send audio from 2-3 tracks to a single audio track, which then sends it's signal to the master. The purpose of this is I have a wash out effect on most tracks, but I want the 2-3 tracks to be dry with no effect, so I have tried creating two tracks, one dry and one wash out, i've applied the wash out effect to wash out. I have them both setup for audio to master.

I have the 'in' button selected (so it's orange) and I have the audio from set to one of the single audio tracks that I want to receive audio from, but what if I want audio from more than one track - is there a different option I should be selecting?

Thanks in advance!

McAnix

Re: Routing Audio from Multiple Tracks to One Single Track

Post by McAnix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 am

You can select the out of tracks 1-3 to track 4, track 4 can even be set to no input, as long as 1-3's outs are set to 4.

Or create a send, send 1-3 to send A select 1-3's audio to "sends only".

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm

McAnix wrote:You can select the out of tracks 1-3 to track 4, track 4 can even be set to no input, as long as 1-3's outs are set to 4.

Or create a send, send 1-3 to send A select 1-3's audio to "sends only".
Yup, I do that on all my projects to create busses. Love it.

jokair8

Post by jokair8 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:19 pm

Hello,

I dig this topic up.

I have a similar need, but by routing a track to several other tracks (Audio To), or starting from a track that retrieves the signal from several tracks (audio from) which are routed elsewhere.

Do you know how to do that ?

Thanks in advance for your contributions

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:56 pm

...what is the "that" in your question?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

dsu

Post by dsu » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:26 am

jokair8 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:19 pm
Hello,

I dig this topic up.

I have a similar need, but by routing a track to several other tracks (Audio To), or starting from a track that retrieves the signal from several tracks (audio from) which are routed elsewhere.

Do you know how to do that ?

Thanks in advance for your contributions
How I think about it is that there 2 major ways to route a tracks in Live.

The first way is a Many to One routing. This is what happens when you use the Sends built into Live. Many different tracks can be routed to a single send that might have an effect like a reverb or delay on it.

The second way is a One to Many routing . This is not built into Live but it is easy to establish as follows:

1. There is a source track that you want to route to many different tracks, Call this track Gtr.

2. Create a new track that has the effects you want to send the Gtr track to. Call this track Effect 1

3. On track Effect 1 find where it says Audio From (usually it is set to Ext. In ). Click on the down arrow and a list of things that can be selected for input. Choose the track Gtr we created in step 1.

4. Notice that instead of showing Ext. In the Audio From now shows the track named Gtr. Underneath there is a new option that reads Post Mixer. Click on the down arrow and a list is show that allows you to select the where on the Gtr track you want to take the signal from, Post Mixer means you get all the effects and plus the fader on the Gtr track controls the level. Post effects by passes the fader and is usually louder, Pre Effects is the raw single at the input of Gtr.

At this point you have created a one to one routing. To create a one to many routing;

5. Create a new track that has the effects you want to send the Gtr track to. Call this track Effect 2

6. On track Effect 2 find where it says Audio Frm (usually it is set to Ext. In ). Click on the down arrow and a list of things that can be selected for input. Choose the track Gtr we created in step 1.

7. Notice that instead of showing Ext. In the Audio From now shows the track named Gtr. Underneath there is a new option that reads Post Mixer. Click on the down arrow and a list is show that allows you to select the where on the Gtr track you want to take the signal from, Post Mixer means you get all the effects and plus the fader on the Gtr track controls the level. Post effects by passes the fader and is usually louder, Pre Effects is the raw single at the input of Gtr.

At this point we have create a one to many routing. Repeat this process until you have set up all the tracks you need.

Note: To actually hear the results of all these new tracks it is necessary to either set the Monitor to Input or arm the track to record and set the Monitor to Auto.

Hope this is useful to you. Good luck.
dsu

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 am

dsu wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:26 am
The first way is a Many to One routing. This is what happens when you use the Sends built into Live. Many different tracks can be routed to a single send that might have an effect like a reverb or delay on it.
You can also send all these tracks to a single regular audio track (let's call it BUS Track): set BUS Track's input to "none" and its monitoring to IN; then set the output of the tracks you want to route to BUS Track.

You can also do all types of routings with these M4L devices.
Ableton Forum Moderator

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:13 am

[jur] wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 am
dsu wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:26 am
You can also send all these tracks to a single regular audio track (let's call it BUS Track): set BUS Track's input to "none" and its monitoring to IN; then set the output of the tracks you want to route to BUS Track.
yep. for sharing effects or doing multiple submixes, sends make sense.

for regular bussing like you would do on an audio console, e.g. creating a drum or vocal bus, routing to another audio track (or using a group track) makes more sense.

dsu

Post by dsu » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:06 pm

Thinking about this a bit more, Audio Effects Rack are a One to Many routing feature built into Live. The M4L device Jur linked to looks really interesting.

jokair8

Post by jokair8 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:46 pm

Thanks a lot for your answers Dsu, Jur and Fishmonkey.
I'm gonna try the M4L device that seems great !