I wish someone other than ableton had session view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tlchris88

I wish someone other than ableton had session view

Post by tlchris88 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 am

Out of the absolute blue, ableton starts De-selecting the scene im trying to record into when i hit a drum pad. So in order to stop the recording scene to start playing back, i literally have to click it with the mouse to re-select it to hit enter. I have been using session view without issue for a very long time and this just started happening one day when i fired it up. I havnt changed any settings or anything. ive done 2 reinstalls to no avail, and for some reason SOME drum kits dont do this. It Pretty much de-selects the scene and selects the instrument rack below. I have tried 2 different drum pads, (Akai MPD218, Akai MPK249) and the funny thing is, if i use the piano keys to hit the midi note, it doesnt do this, but if i use the actual sample pads on either unit, i have this issue. it also doesnt do this if i use my computer keyboard to hit the midi notes. I think im just doomed with ableton and PC. I refuse to go mac, but i havnt had a smooth experience with ableton since day 1 and always end up talking to a support tech who uses Mac, and the only info they have is what they read out of the manual because they have zero experience with PC themselves. I honestly dont think ive ever called tech support and talked to someone who actually uses PC. So if the problem cant be answered within the pages of the manual, i always hang up with little info and help. I hope i can solve this one...

jestermgee

Re: I wish someone other than ableton had session view

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 am

Bitwig has session view.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 am

tlchris88 wrote:Out of the absolute blue, ableton starts De-selecting the scene im trying to record into when i hit a drum pad. …and for some reason SOME drum kits dont do this. It Pretty much de-selects the scene and selects the instrument rack below.
The emboldened part is an action of yours. That means this is not at all happening "Out of the absolute blue". Every action has a result. Analyze your action.

You do A and expect B, but you get C. There's a reason for this. Find it.
Personally, I don't even see the problem as recording should be possible pretty much no matter what you select in the same track.

You talk about being "doomed". There's no such thing. This is technology and human interaction, it's not magic. You can solve this!
Make some music!

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am

hmm how's your MPD setup in Midi preferences? As a midi port or under "Control Surface" ?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:25 pm

oratowsky wrote:hmm how's your MPD setup in Midi preferences? As a midi port or under "Control Surface" ?
i was thinking on these lines too.

it sounds like one of your pads is triggering more than drums

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 am

tlchris88 wrote:Out of the absolute blue, ableton starts De-selecting the scene im trying to record into when i hit a drum pad. So in order to stop the recording scene to start playing back, i literally have to click it with the mouse to re-select it to hit enter. I have been using session view without issue for a very long time and this just started happening one day when i fired it up. I havnt changed any settings or anything. ive done 2 reinstalls to no avail, and for some reason SOME drum kits dont do this. It Pretty much de-selects the scene and selects the instrument rack below. I have tried 2 different drum pads, (Akai MPD218, Akai MPK249) and the funny thing is, if i use the piano keys to hit the midi note, it doesnt do this, but if i use the actual sample pads on either unit, i have this issue. it also doesnt do this if i use my computer keyboard to hit the midi notes. I think im just doomed with ableton and PC. I refuse to go mac, but i havnt had a smooth experience with ableton since day 1 and always end up talking to a support tech who uses Mac, and the only info they have is what they read out of the manual because they have zero experience with PC themselves. I honestly dont think ive ever called tech support and talked to someone who actually uses PC. So if the problem cant be answered within the pages of the manual, i always hang up with little info and help. I hope i can solve this one...

Ableton Push 2 or even Push 1.

It takes alot of the guesswork out of coming up with a good mapping system.

Other solutions require a bit of research and maybe some hacks using M4L.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm

tlchris88 wrote:... ableton starts De-selecting the scene im trying to record into when i hit a drum pad. ... this just started happening one day when i fired it up. I havnt changed any settings or anything. ... I have tried 2 different drum pads, (Akai MPD218, Akai MPK249) and the funny thing is, if i use the piano keys to hit the midi note, it doesnt do this, but if i use the actual sample pads on either unit, i have this issue. it also doesnt do this if i use my computer keyboard to hit the midi notes.
Maybe a silly question, but I'll give it a shot. :-) Where's your mouse sitting when this happens? When you're hitting the pads on your MPD/MPK, you're probably hitting harder than when you hit a key on the keyboard (controller or PC). Is it possible your mouse is bouncing slightly and causing cursor movement and maybe clicking? Try putting your mouse somewhere else or holding it in your hand while you hit a pad. (Of course, assuming that you're using an actual mouse and not the touchpad on a laptop...)

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

G-Pop

Post by G-Pop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:02 am

Just a thought and I'm probably wrong;
Preferences>Record/Warp/Launch>
under "Record"
Is "Start Playback With Record" ON?

It sounds like it SHOULD be but... A tech support person from a
graphics program company once told me;

"You set your preferences or you accept the default, and chances
are you're not going to like the default."

I've never had this problem on my PC. Lucky me...

G Pop
Last edited by G-Pop on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Live10std. Win8x, 8G ram, Scarlette 2i2[1stGen] & ASIO[2ndGen]-KorgN5, M-audio MIDI, various guitarz!
Without skillz, we're all just Monkeys with Shotguns!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 am

I didn't write that @G-pop! Edit that post with the proper name. If you want to ask me, then just "@" me…
Make some music!

G-Pop

Post by G-Pop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:21 am

Stromkraft wrote:I didn't write that @G-pop! Edit that post with the proper name. If you want to ask me, then just "@" me…
Sorry Strom... Still getting used to the "Quote" slices!

You quoted him AND his quote or something and I edited that and
left in YOUR quote tag!

Sorry Sir, again, didn't mean to offend. Post is fixed.

G Pop
Live10std. Win8x, 8G ram, Scarlette 2i2[1stGen] & ASIO[2ndGen]-KorgN5, M-audio MIDI, various guitarz!
Without skillz, we're all just Monkeys with Shotguns!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 pm

G-Pop wrote: Post is fixed.
Thank you, @G-Pop. I didn't think you did that intentionally. I've done worse myself.
Make some music!