Controlling macro knobs from clip envelopes on another track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jehrich

Controlling macro knobs from clip envelopes on another track

Post by jehrich » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:14 am

I would like to create a master track of dummy clips and use the clip envelopes to control the chain selector (or macro knob) of MIDI effect racks on multiple other tracks. Does anyone have advice on how this can be done? I would prefer a native solution, but a low-resource M4L solution would also be fine.

Background:

I'm currently using the Scale MIDI effect to limit the note values from some randomized sources to values that fit the current part of a generative composition.

Currently, I have a Scale device controlled by dummy clips in each track (bass, lead, pads) and the dummy clips are set to play in the same order to stay in sync. This is becoming more difficult to maintain as I add additional tracks, and also prevents me from randomizing the dummy clips (they would get out of sync).

Cheers!
--
JE

oddstep

Re: Controlling macro knobs from clip envelopes on another track

Post by oddstep » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:16 am

use one of the api control mapping devices that came with max for live essentials or the building blocks pack. set it up so that it is controlling the parameter you want. map its control to a macro dial. if you don't want interpolation between values there's a device preseter device that allows you to save entire device states as a preset. this can also be controlled via a macro.

jehrich

Re: Controlling macro knobs from clip envelopes on another track

Post by jehrich » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Thank you oddstep! The combination of MultiMap on the dummy clip track with DevicePreseter on the instrument tracks works great here. This eliminates all of the duplicate dummy clip programming and allows me to add some randomization there. And I discovered a few other goodies along the way.

One more question - are you aware of any device that can sync all of the exposed parameters of once device (i.e. the 'master' device') with those of other devices (i.e. the 'slave' devices)? I think I'm looking for something like the Param2Param device, but one that can map all the available parameters at once, as well as target multiple devices. I know this is a stretch :D