How to clean the rubbery coating on the sides of Push 2?

Discuss Push with other users.
Scoox

Re: How to clean the rubbery coating on the sides of Push 2?

Post by Scoox » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:51 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:12 pm
The price and the low quality are the main reason why I never bought one. It seems so expensive for what it is. It basically costs £550 to see if you like this particular controller, then theres this issue with perishing surface. I know so many people (with lots of income) who have them on shelves collecting dust. Thats pretty off putting for such a big outlay.

Meanwhile despite me having Live for over 10 years Ive never played one. I went to an Ableton event where a dude told me how great it was, etc. but the event ended before anyone could try it. So to test it would cost me £550 and if I don't sell it immediately apparently they rot away. It still seems mad to me. I know that some people love them, but the closest competitor is less than half the price.
I got mine as part of package deal, L11 Suite + Push 2 for 630 €, where L11 Suite alone would have cost me 599 €, so it was a no-brainer. I thought if I didn't like it I could slap it on eBay and effectively get get L11 Suite for half the retail price.. My experience is similar to what you describe. I messed around with it at the they I got it, but I can't say I've used it much since. YMMV but I found it to be more a hindrance than a help in the context of music production. For starters, the constant cleaning of finger prints (if that sort of thing bothers you) is a waste of time. Then, it takes way too much space on my desk considering how little I was using it, and I like to keep my working set-up minimalistic, meaning every piece of gear on my desk needs to be essential. My main use for it when it was on my desk was tapping out drum beats which I can already do with my much smaller Launchpad X. Last, tweaking device parameters with Push 2 is like painting a house through the keyhole.

It looks cool in the studio, until the fingerprint marks begin to show. IMO it's of very limited usefulness in the studio. Maybe useful as a performance tool, but with the rubber coating I'd think twice about taking out on gigs.

Of course the Ableton guy is going to tell you how great it is. Ableton spends a ton of money on marketing, probably much more than any other DAW maker. I mean, just look around, the internet is full of evangelists/optimists, most of them sponsored, who will cast just about anything in a positive light. In the end of the day the only review that counts is your own when you test the product. Based on my experience with Push 2, I cannot recommend it without warning about the rubber coating. Overall it's a good product but it may not suit everybody's workflow.

login

Post by login » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:08 pm

Angstrom wrote:
The price and the low quality are the main reason why I never bought one. It seems so expensive for what it is. It basically costs £550 to see if you like this particular controller, then theres this issue with perishing surface. I know so many people (with lots of income) who have them on shelves collecting dust. Thats pretty off putting for such a big outlay.

Meanwhile despite me having Live for over 10 years Ive never played one. I went to an Ableton event where a dude told me how great it was, etc.erc. but the event ended before anyone could try it. So to test it would cost me £550 and if I don't sell it immediately apparently they rot away. It still seems mad to me. I know that some people love them, but the closest competitor is less than half the price.
Apart from this rubber coating the unit is really well build, the body is made of aluminum, it is really heavy. I have had other controllers by novation, akai and roland and this feels much better build. Mine has actually fell to the floor twice and nothing happened to it.

But you should just go to a store or event close to you and try it.

login

Post by login » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:10 pm

Scoox wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:51 pm
Angstrom wrote:

Meanwhile despite me having Live for over 10 years Ive never played one. I went to an Ableton event where a dude told me how great it was, etc. but the event ended before anyone could try it. So to test it would cost me £550 and if I don't sell it immediately apparently they rot away. It still seems mad to me. I know that some people love them, but the closest competitor is less than half the price.
I got mine as part of package deal, L11 Suite + Push 2 for 630 €, where L11 Suite alone would have cost me 599 €, so it was a no-brainer. I thought if I didn't like it I could slap it on eBay and effectively get get L11 Suite for half the retail price.. My experience is similar to what you describe. I messed around with it at the they I got it, but I can't say I've used it much since. YMMV but I found it to be more a hindrance than a help in the context of music production. For starters, the constant cleaning of finger prints (if that sort of thing bothers you) is a waste of time. Then, it takes way too much space on my desk considering how little I was using it, and I like to keep my working set-up minimalistic, meaning every piece of gear on my desk needs to be essential. My main use for it when it was on my desk was tapping out drum beats which I can already do with my much smaller Launchpad X. Last, tweaking device parameters with Push 2 is like painting a house through the keyhole.

It looks cool in the studio, until the fingerprint marks begin to show. IMO it's of very limited usefulness in the studio. Maybe useful as a performance tool, but with the rubber coating I'd think twice about taking out on gigs.

Of course the Ableton guy is going to tell you how great it is. Ableton spends a ton of money on marketing, probably much more than any other DAW maker. I mean, just look around, the internet is full of evangelists/optimists, most of them sponsored, who will cast just about anything in a positive light. In the end of the day the only review that counts is your own when you test the product. Based on my experience with Push 2, I cannot recommend it without warning about the rubber coating. Overall it's a good product but it may not suit everybody's workflow.
Push wasn't designed for performance, it was designed for composition, some like the workflow, others don't.

I would agree that for mixing it is just not useful, or mastering or arranging.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:34 pm

login wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:08 pm
Apart from this rubber coating the unit is really well build, the body is made of aluminum, it is really heavy.
You blew my mind there. I didn't realise the top half of the shell is actually made of aluminium. Wow. The bottom half is plastic though, but still, you can tell it's (overall) a high quality product, almost Apple quality. But it would have been a ton better if the top plate was anodized aluminium.

threelum

Post by threelum » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:16 pm

How i got rid of the sticky TPE on an old Push 2

Example 1 - I carefully removed the sticky parts (sides and back) with a glass scraper > http://shorturl.at/hAV39
Only a very thin film (the sticky part) of the TPE is removed. A non-sticky part of the TPE remains.

Example 2 - completely remove the sticky parts of the Push 2 from TPE.
I cleaned the sides and back with lots of isopropanol and a microfiber cloth (very time-consuming and rubbing a lot). The finishes are now like new. Smooth slightly glossy black.

I tried both examples. But since I didn't want sticky parts again in a few years, I decided to do the complete TPE removal. :D

p.s. i cleaned the pads by gently rubbing them with a dry microfiber cloth. This gives them grip again.

And now i have a brand new look and feel Push 2 :P

edumatol

Post by edumatol » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:33 pm

Hi All!

This will solve all the questions about the sticky rubbery issue of the Push 2
1- Plug all plug openings with a paper towel in a way that is snug but easy to remove.
2 - Dab "Dawn" dish soap on one finger and lightly rubber area. Use finger nails lightly to scrub sticky stuff into gunk balls. Do not over do the soap in such away that it might go into the seam lines or get paper towel plugs wet.
2 - Once you feel surface is smooth, wipe surface off with well squeezed wet sponge. Repeat with clean sponge till soap feel is gone. Once surface feels clean and smooth. I recommend finishing it with "Motshebocker's - LIFT OFF -Tape, Label, and ADHESIVE REMOVER". You can get this on Amazon. This is an amazing product that will leave an extra smooth/new finish and can be use on the rest of the Push 2. This product is harmless if over use but no need cuz it works really really well sparingly. It's also incredibly amazing in wiping of gunk on ovens, microwaves or any area where there's grease/gunk build-up.

Hope this solves all your sticky, rubbery and gunky issues. Cheers and enjoy your clean Push 2 :)

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:34 am

Finally had enough of the stickiness, and managed to get rid of it with Isopropyl alcohol. a couple of microfibre cloths, and about 10 kitchen scourers (the sponge blocks with the scouring side on one side).
It's now a smooth piano black plastic finish, albeit with some slight streaks (im assuming this is the microscopic remnants of the coating, or scratches, whatever, it's OK, I'm sure they could be buffed out if you really want). The back came off looking the worst, in terms of obvious cleaning marks (I don't care), but the sides are very much clean and smooth. The sides were a lot easier too.

Here's what I did:

Placed the push on a towel, upside down off the edge of a table.

I started on the back and worked in sections.

Drench the scouring side of sponge in alcohol and start gently rubbing and lifting off until the gunk comes off on the scourer. Once the coating is on the scourer, it won't come off it, so you have to keep using new ones, after they each get clogged up, or you'll end up rubbing the coating back on. The gunk gets everywhere, so mind it.

When it's wet with alcohol and you can see it's getting smooth (check at angle in good light), soak part of the microfibre cloth with alcohol, and wipe across the scoured surface in one pass, and repeat the whole process until it's clean, and there are no spots of coating. You can also use the smooth side of the sponge to get it going before using the cloth.
Every subsequent wipe with the cloth after scouring needs to be done with a clean section of the cloth/sponge, or again, you'll wipe the coating back on.

That did it.

Hope this helps.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

sinik

Post by sinik » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:54 pm

PS. if you buy a new push, there is no rubber coating anymore. i remember it when i sold mine 3 years ago. now i got a new one from ableton and its just hardplastic.

FrancoBlanko

Post by FrancoBlanko » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:11 pm

sinik wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:54 pm
PS. if you buy a new push, there is no rubber coating anymore. i remember it when i sold mine 3 years ago. now i got a new one from ableton and its just hardplastic.
Can anyone else confirm this?

ouatataz

Post by ouatataz » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:47 pm

Hi, to remove the sticky rubbery coating please follow these steps :
1- Disassemble the sticky back part of your push : https://youtu.be/YItWQdJgXLs
2- Use steel wool 000 soaked in soapy water

I've just done that on mine and it's perfect.
No obvious scratches on the plastic !

Hope this helps

pickapiperbrad

Post by pickapiperbrad » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:43 pm

I used goo gone and some makeup remover type pads (a lot of them) and scrubbed the sides for a while (like 10min or more per side) and was able to get all the rubber coating off and now it feels like smooth plastic. Much better!