Ableton Push 3 update

Discuss Push with other users.
Tarekith

Re: Ableton Push 3 update

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 25, 2023 2:34 am

It’s still kind of hard for me to fully come to terms with the fact we’re ACTUALLY getting more or less the full power of Live in a standalone device. It’s a workflow I’ve been trying to emulate in other hardware grooveboxes for a LONG time now, with good and meh results. (side note: MC707 rules for this.)

Pretty excited to be able to prep a set on the laptop and then just chuck it into the hardware to perform with. Or start ideas out in the woods somewhere and then easily fine tune it back in the studio. 8lbs is a bit heavy, but could be worse I guess.

I’m curious how warm those thermals get on the bottom if you wanted to use it on your lap long term (I haven’t tried yet).

Either way, looking forward to spending more time with it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 25, 2023 4:58 am

Tarekith wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:34 am
It’s still kind of hard for me to fully come to terms with the fact we’re ACTUALLY getting more or less the full power of Live in a standalone device. It’s a workflow I’ve been trying to emulate in other hardware grooveboxes for a LONG time now, with good and meh results. (side note: MC707 rules for this.)

Pretty excited to be able to prep a set on the laptop and then just chuck it into the hardware to perform with. Or start ideas out in the woods somewhere and then easily fine tune it back in the studio. 8lbs is a bit heavy, but could be worse I guess.

I’m curious how warm those thermals get on the bottom if you wanted to use it on your lap long term (I haven’t tried yet).

Either way, looking forward to spending more time with it.
The only thing that's kind of close to me was the MPC Live, but I do weird time signatures often enough that it's awkward implementation of that ability on the stand alone versions was bad enough to kill my interest in it.

I'm really really hoping they give us some way to at least sketch out the basics of a song on the stand alone, that's the clincher, just let us chain Session Clips. :)

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Thu May 25, 2023 6:14 am

+1 - We really need Scene follow actions.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu May 25, 2023 6:53 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:23 am
there aren’t that many DaWs that do MIDI comping
midi??

Audio comping, like in vocals

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 am

Tarekith wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:34 am
Or start ideas out in the woods somewhere and then easily fine tune it back in the studio. 8lbs is a bit heavy, but could be worse I guess.
what's the advantage of having push 3 over a laptop in the woods? an interface? interfaces are tiny these days and high quality

$2000 is ridiculous just to have a device with built in interface (and dedicated to one thing only)

I'd rather spend that money on another CPU to offload to when Ableton starts bogging down

projexo

Post by projexo » Thu May 25, 2023 8:15 am

sowhoso wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 am

what's the advantage of having push 3 over a laptop in the woods? an interface? interfaces are tiny these days and high quality

$2000 is ridiculous just to have a device with built in interface (and dedicated to one thing only)

I'd rather spend that money on another CPU to offload to when Ableton starts bogging down
Then do it.

People were bitter to people that were in hopes of a new push and now they are bitter that there actually is a new push.

Guys... the neat part - you don't have to buy it, you don't have to be excited about it. I'll be happy with my 'overpriced', 'little to no improvements' push 3 and you can be happy with whatever you got for yourself. easy.

Mine is arriving today, excited.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu May 25, 2023 9:23 am

projexo wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:15 am
People were bitter...

and what's your point in this comment?

I want my push 2 to have better pads. I want Ableton to run efficiently. I want unlimited return tracks. I want better track routing. I want innovative features in updates. etc...

I don't want push 3 as it is

by your thinking YOU must be bitter that I'm complaining about legitimate shortcomings on the part of ableton developers

enjoy your push 3, as far as that is possible

projexo

Post by projexo » Thu May 25, 2023 9:27 am

will do :wink:

frabo

Post by frabo » Thu May 25, 2023 9:59 am

The way to see the clips in session mode is great.

But, if I have a drum rack , maybe with up to 64 sounds on the pads, is there a way to see the names of the individual sounds on the screen as well ?
That would be great, right ?

If not, please add it !

;-)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu May 25, 2023 11:25 am

frabo wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 9:59 am
The way to see the clips in session mode is great.

But, if I have a drum rack , maybe with up to 64 sounds on the pads, is there a way to see the names of the individual sounds on the screen as well ?
Nope. That'd could be nice indeed, but there's a lot more important stuff to add first imo. You can see each drum pad's name in the device view already.
Ableton Forum Moderator

sinik

Post by sinik » Thu May 25, 2023 11:44 am

sowhoso wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 9:23 am
projexo wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:15 am
People were bitter...

and what's your point in this comment?

I want my push 2 to have better pads. I want Ableton to run efficiently. I want unlimited return tracks. I want better track routing. I want innovative features in updates. etc...

I don't want push 3 as it is

by your thinking YOU must be bitter that I'm complaining about legitimate shortcomings on the part of ableton developers

enjoy your push 3, as far as that is possible

lol, how desparate are u?
ever thought that everybody has different needs?

there is no reason to knock it down, just because it doesnt fit you, get over it!

eclipxe

Post by eclipxe » Thu May 25, 2023 2:10 pm

I have an idea for a M4L device that can allow you to do basic scene chaining (think Digitakt’s song mode) from the available parameters on the Push standalone. The Live API has enough access to scenes to make this possible I believe. The UI will be a little clunky but I’m going to try to whip it up this weekend and test. Will report back

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 25, 2023 2:47 pm

sowhoso wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:53 am
Machinesworking wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:23 am
there aren’t that many DaWs that do MIDI comping
midi??

Audio comping, like in vocals
Live does MIDI and Audio comping. Your take that it's not some great thing that Live added comping, well then, they added more than just audio comping.
sowhoso wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:11 am
One device over at minimum three devices. I can't see how that's not an advantage?

Yeah, you're all over the place here. How is the audio interface dedicated to one thing only? Personally I have a Babyface Pro FS, it's got essentially the same connectivity as Push 3, and the ADAT part is super useful to me since the Fireface here can still be used as 8 in/out connectivity even in Apple Silicon Macs.

I'm DAW agnostic, I'm probably waiting for Moss to at least code the Reaper and Bitwig ports for Push3, and I've already pointed out that it's not going to be super useful to me until they add in some sort of Session Clip chaining or basic Arrangement View, but this is a total package. I can replace Push 2, a Laptop, and audio interface, and an MPE controller, with one device, 4 for one. They added in ADAT, CV suport, and audio interface, an optional full blown computer core that runs Live. I don't have to like all of things they've done with it, but to act like it's not a great upgrade to Push2 is a massive stretch and just silly.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Thu May 25, 2023 5:41 pm

I agree about the not wanting interface/or standalone. It's going to be a BOON for those that can afford it (though, er, battery life will inevitably be an issue considering how bad most portable devices are and how much juice it's going to take)

@Audio Interface: Having a tough time believing that this will be as good as a little VOLT or something like that, but maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.

Someday it might be right up my ally, but not for now.

BTW, for those that have used it, is the "sticky pad" thing resolved?
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 25, 2023 7:33 pm

It wasn’t sticky pads, it was the lower portion and sides of the case that got sticky. And yes, it’s been resolved.