Discuss Push with other users.
mr.ergonomics

Re: Ableton Push 3 update

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu May 25, 2023 8:30 pm

binarysun wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:14 pm
mr.ergonomics wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:54 am

Any references for the carcinogen part? I have a couple of things with these soft coating that starts breakig down and so far I am undecided how to deal with them or if I should throw them in the bin.
There was a segment on TV here a while ago. So yes and no unfortunately. It was about the plasticizers that get “pulled out” to the surface and evaporate over time. Some don’t do anything bad while some are phthalates and stuff or other unpronouncable chemicals where some are carcinogen. Which specific chemicals have been used cannot be easily determined. There seem to be way too many that could be in there. Thing is that all plastics release unhealthy chemicals over time. Some more and some less.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. I was only curious if it was especially about soft touch coatings or plastics in general. It seems it was rather about general problems with plastics how I read it.

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Fri May 26, 2023 11:05 am

mr.ergonomics wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:30 pm
binarysun wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:14 pm
mr.ergonomics wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:54 am

Any references for the carcinogen part? I have a couple of things with these soft coating that starts breakig down and so far I am undecided how to deal with them or if I should throw them in the bin.
There was a segment on TV here a while ago. So yes and no unfortunately. It was about the plasticizers that get “pulled out” to the surface and evaporate over time. Some don’t do anything bad while some are phthalates and stuff or other unpronouncable chemicals where some are carcinogen. Which specific chemicals have been used cannot be easily determined. There seem to be way too many that could be in there. Thing is that all plastics release unhealthy chemicals over time. Some more and some less.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. I was only curious if it was especially about soft touch coatings or plastics in general. It seems it was rather about general problems with plastics how I read it.
Oh sorry. This was specifically about the soft touch plastics/rubber that is prone to the process of returning to its former state. Some get hard and some get sticky. It is triggered by moisture and sunlight over time. So there is no way to stop it. It will happen eventually. And depending on what is released during degradation or what's seeping out this is harmful to touch and the fumes might even cause other problems. But this fuming should only happen in case of PU-Paint and such. Didn't find anything for other forms of PU. The other stuff was just a remark that basically every plastics releases stuff into nature over time. So in general should be avoided where possible.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Fri May 26, 2023 11:36 am

Tarekith wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:33 pm
It wasn’t sticky pads, it was the lower portion and sides of the case that got sticky. And yes, it’s been resolved.
How has it been resolved? Only in Push 3 or also in later Push 2 units? Essentially rubber coatings tend to go sticky if certain environmental conditions are met (moisture, light, skin oils, etc). Since these conditions exist to varying degrees everywhere, it's not a question of if but a question of how long. Plus rubber coatings show finger prints like crazy. The best material to use is always bare (uncoated, unpainted) rugged plastic. The sort of plastic that is used in power tools such as drills, circular saws, etc. So is the new Push 3 bare plastic or still rubber-coated?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 26, 2023 2:29 pm

Push 3 uses a different plastic that won’t get all sticky this time, I have no idea about later Push 2 units.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 26, 2023 3:54 pm

chris harbin wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:41 pm
@Audio Interface: Having a tough time believing that this will be as good as a little VOLT or something like that, but maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.
I attend a lot of MOTU webinars and the rep mentioned the specs of the M2 and M4 were so good because the prices of quality D/A and Pres etc. had come so far down that pretty much any audio interface these days is vastly superior to everything but the high end of 15 years ago.

It's at the point to where I seriously consider selling my Babyface Pro FS and Push 2 for Push 3. Push 3 has the same specs on paper as the FS. [I would bet money that the FS has better Pres but that's about it.]

login

Post by login » Fri May 26, 2023 9:28 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:54 pm
chris harbin wrote:
@Audio Interface: Having a tough time believing that this will be as good as a little VOLT or something like that, but maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.
I attend a lot of MOTU webinars and the rep mentioned the specs of the M2 and M4 were so good because the prices of quality D/A and Pres etc. had come so far down that pretty much any audio interface these days is vastly superior to everything but the high end of 15 years ago.

It's at the point to where I seriously consider selling my Babyface Pro FS and Push 2 for Push 3. Push 3 has the same specs on paper as the FS. [I would bet money that the FS has better Pres but that's about it.]
I would have to see if ableton achieved RME levels of performance in their drivers, I hope so, but so far nobody touches RME in USB interfaces.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Sat May 27, 2023 6:03 pm

True, but my babyface pro went belly up (I know, odd) and this VOLT is really quite nice.

But I digress, it will be interesting to see how good the unit/drivers are.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:26 pm

login wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 9:28 pm
Machinesworking wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:54 pm
chris harbin wrote:

I would have to see if ableton achieved RME levels of performance in their drivers, I hope so, but so far nobody touches RME in USB interfaces.
Agreed. I've had a Fireface 800 for 15 years and it's had at least one update to it's driver every year the entire time. They don't wait until something breaks. They didn't know the Thunderbolt spec included firewire support even on the M1 macs and it was barely a month before they updated the Apple Silicon driver to firewire. Great company.