Ableton Push 3 update

Discuss Push with other users.
igneous

Re: Ableton Push 3 update

Post by igneous » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:12 pm

Eep I really thought Push 3 was around the corner when the Push 2 was out of stock everywhere... but looks like it's back in stock at Ableton.

I bought the Push 2 twice and sold it twice, I wanted to like it so bad as an Ableton user but I'm a pianist and the pads are not ergonomic at all for playing melodies / chords with feeling. Hoping the Push 3 will come with a slimmed down, 8-16 pad version that I can use as the brain for a MIDI keyboard, or ideally a Push 3 with just keyboard (similar to what Native Instruments offers) for using Wavetable, Sampler, etc.

Thought for sure this would've come out four years ago, amazed (and kind of impressed, kind of) Ableton has stuck to the Push 2 design this long.

imgn8sn

Post by imgn8sn » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:26 pm

FYI, thomann has it back in stock (push 2) and I was able to purchase (april 3 2023)

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:58 am

Cripes, I just got 2. I'd hate to go through what I did back in the day when I bought Push 1 and then support just stopped because the "new and improved" was eminent. But I digress, that is slightly selfish.

I know I'm new to the game (my second serious go around) but Push 2 seems to be indispensable currently.

One thing I really really wish Push had was an expression pedal input. Other than that, I like it. Oh, some of the buttons (tempo and metronome for example) don't really feel like I think they should. That is weird to me because most of the buttons are nice and solid.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:58 am

There's Namm starting this week. And Superbooth is in May. So if something new is coming I guess it will be at one of these events.
chris harbin wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:58 am
I'd hate to go through what I did back in the day when I bought Push 1 and then support just stopped because the "new and improved" was eminent.
What do you mean by "support dropped"? You can still use Push 1 with 11 to this day. And if it for some reason breaks within warranty and they have no Push 2 anymore, it's usually either money back or the latest model for basically free. At least that's how I know it. Got me the latest and greatest Nvidia GPU a couple years back because mine fried and the latest one had already dropped.

But if something new is coming it is either so different from the Push 2 that these are two separate things and you could easily dismiss one or have both or they are so similar that you'd miss out on maybe a different button layout. TBH even P1 and P2 are fairly similar. Yes the screen is not as "good" as the one on the P2 but the buttons got way worse on the P2 compared to the P1.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:48 am

I have to disagree. The original Push got no support after Push 2 was announced. I'm not talking about "fix what is already there", I'm talking about not updating the product to do better/mo' stuff. I felt abandoned. That's 6-7 hundred dollars I ploughed out and then you want it again? I guess considering I'm back on the dope that it's kinda counterintuitive, but that's how I felt at the time.

I think what I said was fair, it's not any fun to plink out significant cash and then "oh buy the 2 or your SOL" ;)

Anyways, I digress, I'm currently having a great time with the setup that is currently available :)
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.

FrancoBlanko

Post by FrancoBlanko » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:47 am

chris harbin wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:48 am
The original Push got no support after Push 2 was announced. I'm not talking about "fix what is already there", I'm talking about not updating the product to do better/mo' stuff.
Push 1 got loads of new features, updates and fixes after Push 2 came out. They are listed in the Live release notes.

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-9/
https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-10/

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:03 am

chris harbin wrote:
I have to disagree. The original Push got no support after Push 2 was announced. I'm not talking about "fix what is already there", I'm talking about not updating the product to do better/mo' stuff. I felt abandoned.
Yeah I don't know. I am not an owner of a Push 1. But the help pages show something different. Maybe they changed their minds later on?
Some features could not be implemented due to technical limitations. But the P1 is far from being abandoned:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... on-of-Live
chris harbin wrote:
Anyways, I digress, I'm currently having a great time with the setup that is currently available :)
In the end that's the most important

Ndorar

Post by Ndorar » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:46 pm

Hello all, noob question.
On average, nothing specific, how long does Push stay out of stock from the Ableton shop from time to time? I am not really expecting any specific answers, I was just wondering. Thanks.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:08 pm

FrancoBlanko wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:47 am
chris harbin wrote:
The original Push got no support after Push 2 was announced. I'm not talking about "fix what is already there", I'm talking about not updating the product to do better/mo' stuff.
Push 1 got loads of new features, updates and fixes after Push 2 came out. They are listed in the Live release notes.

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-9/
https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-10/
Well, that makes me a liar then :lol: I can swear that when I had mine it was just ditched. Live and learn.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:44 pm

Ableton is committed to supporting Push 1 as long as possible. Especially since they donated all the ones people traded in for Push 2 to schools and other places with music curriculums.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:39 am

Seriously though, I remember being upset at the time because it really seemed like they weren't....... It's ALWAYS a good thing when I'm wrong :)

Addoluciano

Post by Addoluciano » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:55 am

Okay, well count me officially in the boat of waiting to own a Push until Push 3 comes out.

ecthroi

Post by ecthroi » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:24 am

longtime Push 1 user here. it's been kept well up to date as much as possible for newer versions of Live, including new devices/effects/etc. the only thing that i can knock it for is that terrible soft finish that turned to a gunky mess after a couple years....software functionality has been far more than expected, honestly.

that said i'm plnety interested in what they'll be doing for the next iteration of the Push.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:47 pm

The gunky mess is appalling and stops me from digging it out to use. I really miss PXT-Live +.

The thing I really don't get is why Ableton can't update the software on Push1 to include the Convert function. I've said it before on here but I consider that to be a cynical move on Ableton's behalf to entice users to upgrade hardware. Upgrading hardware should be 'just' that and not tied to software function.

Bad form Ableton :evil:

Addoluciano

Post by Addoluciano » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:25 am

As someone who's never touched a Push 2, but I've heard about the "gunky buttons". What makes them gunky?