Push 2 vs Launchpad Pro mk3 // cost vs functionality

Discuss Push with other users.
Grant Floering

Push 2 vs Launchpad Pro mk3 // cost vs functionality

Post by Grant Floering » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:41 pm

I'm considering buying one of these two products to enhance my workflow and I can't decide! I was about to get the Push 2, and then the LaunchPad Pro mk3 was released. Push 2 is rock solid and has been for years. Plus it has a high-resolution display which is beautiful. But the new LaunchPad mk3 is half the cost, and has an internal 4 track 32 step sequencer that can operate without being tethered to a computer! 8O

There are two main reasons I would like a dedicated hardware controller for Ableton, besides getting away from the mouse and keyboard lifestyle. smh.

One reason is having easily accessible automation recording on parameters in the writing process. Something to speed up my workflow without having to re-map parameters to my smaller midi controllers every time I open a new session. And two, navigating clips during a live set while performing and controlling a few effect racks and a couple of external synthesizers. I would also like to control Resolume via midi. Either directly from the hardware controller or perhaps from the software...whichever is more convenient to setup.

Any thoughts on which of these two devices would be better? And with the LaunchPad Pr mk3 incorporating a standalone 4 track sequencer, do you think Ableton will be forced to release a Push 3 with the same features + more anytime soon? I know they're not really competitors, but a Push 3 with internal sequencers would be amazing?! But worth waiting it out?!

jestermgee

Re: Push 2 vs Launchpad Pro mk3 // cost vs functionality

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Since the LP MK3 is pretty new there may not be many that could compare its features with Push but keep in mind there are no encoders on the launchpad, it is focused very much around performing clips and sequencing on the fly so for this:
One reason is having easily accessible automation recording on parameters in the writing process. Something to speed up my workflow without having to re-map parameters to my smaller midi controllers every time I open a new session.
You would find Push is a better fit. Obviously the cost is more but it has the features you would need where the LP you would still need a controller. I know you can access parameters to some degree using rows of pads as a "slider" but that would be a little cumbersome and you would not be able to operate parameters and clips at the same time.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:48 pm

I would even prefer a Push 1 over the Launchpad Pro (MK3). Doesn't mean the LPP is bad at all, just the Push can't be beaten with its display, the encoders and the touch strip. The Push can do anything the LP does and lots more, and who cares for that little built in sequencer in the LP when you have your controller connected to your computer anyways.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:27 pm

beatz01 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:48 pm
I would even prefer a Push 1 over the Launchpad Pro (MK3). Doesn't mean the LPP is bad at all, just the Push can't be beaten with its display, the encoders and the touch strip. The Push can do anything the LP does and lots more, and who cares for that little built in sequencer in the LP when you have your controller connected to your computer anyways.
The MK3 has midi out and is a great stand alone sequencer (very Elektron - Mutation, Probability, Microsteps etc), I am using it just as often as a hardware sequencer with my hardware synths and even Eurorack (via a midi to CV module- great way to sync up my modular with Live). This alone is worth the cost of the unit (I paid 225 GBP) so being bale to use it with Live (and now Bitwig with a script that gives it 7 sequencers!) is a massive bonus!

Personally I don't use the screen or knobs as I have the LP under my monitor and next to my controller keyboard, but iif you play Live with 'just' the PUSH as a controller I can see how a screen/controls would help. The MK3s pressure pads act as faders to control the knobs and it actually works surprisingly well you could get by with it, but I prefer the knobs on my controller keyboard!

I notice the MK3 Pro also got some love in the new beta (.17)

When the Launchpad Pro MK3 is in Note Mode and a Drum Rack is present, holding down Clear and pressing a pad will now delete the pitch associated with that pad from the current clip. Pressing and releasing Clear will still delete the current clip.

In the Launchpad Pro MK3's Device Mode, the last selected parameter bank of each device instance will now be recalled upon reselecting the device instance.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.