Automated pitch correction for complex audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
complete

Automated pitch correction for complex audio

Post by complete » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi Sound gurus, I have a need for recommendations on pitch correction for a more complex sound....

I have sounds of various bells I've recorded...

The bells are not at any specific note,... and the pitch changes over time. To make things harder, there are undertones as well that ring out in different notes and drift as well.

I've tried various tuning / pitchshifting devices, but they are either making the bell sound "autotuned" or flattening all the tones (including the undertones) so that the undertones are then out of tune because they are warped by the same amount as the main "note" in the attack.

What is the best tool/technique for pitch correcting a complex, drifting sound like this??

TLW

Re: Automated pitch correction for complex audio

Post by TLW » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 am

Pitch-shifting changing polyphonic sounds isn’t straightforward which is why most pitch shifting is done to monophonic sounds, and is most realistic with sounds with few strong harmonics. Having said that, Melodyne might be able to do what you want.

Another possibility might be using Live’s sampler.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

granted

Post by granted » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:50 pm

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:17 am

Coincidentally, I heard someone say yesterday that bells have strong minor 3rd overtones. I dunno if that's all bells, or just... his bells.