go back to normal preset browsing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

bring back the classic preset browsing?

yes
72%
no
28%

Total votes: 47

tencentcat

Post by tencentcat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:52 pm

Pleeeeeease bring back the original browser system. Or at least make it a choice in the prefs.

kineticUk

Good idea

Post by kineticUk » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:04 am

Defiinately agree with quandrys idea.Thats a best of both worlds solution.Alot of people dont want to lose the new browser system as it is a good for those who have loads of presets and brings better integration for audio units plugins.People who use live more as a performance tool probably find the seperate browsers on instruments quicker and easier to use live.So we wouldnt want to lose either but quandrys idea of integrating them also gives the user the choice of how to customise the browser to their ideal live setup.
Also with the smaller browser on the instrument, the option to map the presets to program change would be great.This way you could customise your instruments by putting your most used presets into the instrument browser and run through your favourite presets quickly using program change messages.
What does everyone think?

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:03 am

[nednerb] wrote:I agree with this. The interface should accomodate whim to complex organization and whim to play quickly in a live situation.

I like the idea of, in an update to live5, creating a somewhat new preset function for effects/chains.

A good idea is that the browser function could remain exactly the same, while built-in is the function to drag and drop a set of presets from the browser onto the title bar of an effect, so that a drop down menu could be accessible from within the effect with the complete set of presets anticipated for a live situation (you could put all of them in there in the order you wanted to to make it better than live4). This would provide the ability to keep things in order while keeping on the fly. I imagine a useful function would be to midi-assign the scrolling of that list to a turn-knob. This would align in to, say, the pattern knob on a Loopfactory sequencer.

What do others think of THIS specific idea? It would be good if we all who are voicing out at this could say we agree about a specific viable alternative.

[nednerb]

~~
DellGX270: Intel4 3.00GHZ,1.00GB RAM, Creative SBLive. Live4-5, UC-33e, Stanton Gemini.
Exelent idea!

I don´t like the browser only way too.
For organising it´s ok, but for fast midi preset stepping it doesn´t suit so well.

If you select the folder in the browser, the presets could show up in the fx
scroll menu.

Important that you can sort them the way you need them, perhaps doable from the fx scroll menu too, for a fast rearrangement.

Just drag the needed presets in a folder, asign midi and it works.

Like you have to doubleclick every preset in the browser now, I would like if we could use the up and down arrows for faster browsing at least.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:42 am

nah i dont like the idea of dragging preset folders to the device.

keep the new way of preset browsing, but bring back the classic way too, with a few enhancements like "next" and "previous" buttons, and a hidden "scroll presets" button between those for midi control.

and for the problem of the folders in the popup menu, just have the folder name in bold type, put the presets of that folder under that, then have the name of the next folder in bold type, and put the presets of that folder under that, etc. get it?
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:42 am

i dont mind the new browser ...BUT i mis being able to scrol through presets with arrow keys :?

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:57 am

you can still do that with the new way :wink: but you have to have the browser open and thats why many of us would like both ways, plus some enhancements like next and previous buttons that can be assigned to keyboard keys or a midi controller.
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:22 pm

Livewire wrote:nah i dont like the idea of dragging preset folders to the device.
Everyone may have a different way of wanting to work, but part of what I think was cool about my idea is that both the new 5 style preset way of working AND the old style presets on the effects/instruments would be 100% intact. You could work exclusively with the new way (with added benefit of seeing the preset name on the effect), or exclusively the old way. My idea was to allow working in either style, AND to add a possibility to be able to filter down how many presets show up in the pop-up on the effect, which seems to be the reason they went to the browser in the first place--too many unorganized presets. By dragging folders from the browser onto the effect preset name box, you could filter how many presets show up in the pop-up (or for old style just drag all of the presets for that device onto the effect). Feel free to suggest alternative ways of the two systems interacting, but I think this seems like a great way to keep both systems intact and permit interaction, and a new means to address the problem that caused the change in the first place, too many presets.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:25 pm

serotoninsteve wrote:
[nednerb] wrote:I agree with this. The interface should accomodate whim to complex organization and whim to play quickly in a live situation.

I like the idea of, in an update to live5, creating a somewhat new preset function for effects/chains.

A good idea is that the browser function could remain exactly the same, while built-in is the function to drag and drop a set of presets from the browser onto the title bar of an effect, so that a drop down menu could be accessible from within the effect with the complete set of presets anticipated for a live situation (you could put all of them in there in the order you wanted to to make it better than live4). This would provide the ability to keep things in order while keeping on the fly. I imagine a useful function would be to midi-assign the scrolling of that list to a turn-knob. This would align in to, say, the pattern knob on a Loopfactory sequencer.

What do others think of THIS specific idea? It would be good if we all who are voicing out at this could say we agree about a specific viable alternative.

[nednerb]

~~
DellGX270: Intel4 3.00GHZ,1.00GB RAM, Creative SBLive. Live4-5, UC-33e, Stanton Gemini.
Exelent idea!
I just have to jump in here real quick and give myself credit for the idea that nednerb redescribed on his post right after mine where I described MY idea, which I hope will be implemented someday.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

tencentcat

Post by tencentcat » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:25 am

Have any of the Ableton guys commented on this? I'm hoping and praying they at least make it a choice in the next update.

I love version 5, but everytime I open Live 4 on my powerbook I feel more organized and in control.

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:09 pm

Why not have all presets used in a session/arrangement saved self contained on a per song/set basis. also have a browser mode specific to just these presets just a thought.

supster

Post by supster » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:47 pm

mike holiday wrote:i dont mind the new browser ...BUT i mis being able to scrol through presets with arrow keys :?

no matter what happens, we really need a keyboard/MIDI assignable HOTKEY for that browser

please, its so annoying :roll: its been 5 versions ...
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:56 pm

supster wrote:
mike holiday wrote:i dont mind the new browser ...BUT i mis being able to scrol through presets with arrow keys :?

no matter what happens, we really need a keyboard/MIDI assignable HOTKEY for that browser

please, its so annoying :roll: its been 5 versions ...
I agree this is important, but I think the most important thing they need to do is to put the damn preset names back in the effects/vsti. For a program called "Live", designed to be used on stage, to not have the freekin preset names right on the effect/vsti is just plain stupid, and a serious waste of time and energy on stage.

Ryan

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:59 pm

i did not like the new preset browser at first,
but then when i got the tacklebox and beatbox livefills updates to 1.5, starting making more of my own presets, and started making .alc Live Clips, i soon found that i prefer the new way to the old way.
much to my surprise.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:17 pm

AdamJay wrote:i did not like the new preset browser at first,
but then when i got the tacklebox and beatbox livefills updates to 1.5, starting making more of my own presets, and started making .alc Live Clips, i soon found that i prefer the new way to the old way.
much to my surprise.
yeah, I understand why they made the change--to have more control and organization over a bunch of presets. It does well at that. BUT, not having the preset name on the effect/vsti on stage sucks. Changing a preset with the new browser scenario takes WAY longer, that also sucks on stage, especially since I myself and others I know don't usually even have the browser open to save screen real estate for more session tracks. I just wish they would bring back the preset name on the effect/vsti--keep the new scenario, just put the preset name back on the device. I have even suggested a way of having the two interact earlier in this thread (and/or another one).

They should definitely keep the new browser scenario, just put the presets names back where they belong, on the device. Here's a real world analogy of how stupid it is not having the presets on the device: What stompbox or hardware effect makes you have to look at/tweak something besides the unit to change the preset??? Do I want to have to go to another view and focus my attention elsewhere when I'm already looking at the effect/vsti device? Do I want to waste time and mental energy on stage? Do I want a surprise when I turn on a effect because I have NO IDEA what preset it is currently on? NO!

Ryan

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:59 am

I don't mind the new way so much, but they could definately tweak the intuitiveness of it. You guys do know that if you double click the top of your instrument box, it will go straight to the patches for that instrument, right? It took me awhile to figure that out. Knowing that makes it easier right away, whew!

I think keeping the new system is fine, but it definately needs to be developed some more. They should:

1.) Make a single click load the preset. Why do we have to double click it? It's just an extra click for nothing...something extra you can mess up during a performance. You wouldn't be digging in those folders & clicking on them if you didn't wanna try them out asap.

2.) When you double cick the instrument panel and the browser goes to instantly to the folder of presets....They should automatically be lined up, first patch starting at the top of the browser. Too many times you have to scroll down through the browser and look for them because the patches are sitting at the bottom of the list. That's an extra step you gotta click on the scroll bar no matter what.

3.) If we're moving to patches in the browser permanently, add a new "preset" circle below the three folder icons. This allows easy access of an instrument of your choice that's always there when you need it. If they added midi control to the circle icons later...BAM, the presets are right there at your fingertips and go down through 'em with your arrow keys. You wouldn't even have to reselect the instrument's track!