Hot swapping samples in context not working??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
B166ER

Hot swapping samples in context not working??

Post by B166ER » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:16 pm

So I have been an Ableton user for near 15 years, and the hot-swap feature where u can listen to the sample u are previewing in CONTEXT of the music ur playing is broken for me... I remember it used to work back in Ableton 7 or something but it stopped work and I completely forgot about the feature until I saw a tutorial a dude was doing and it worked fine for him. But it doesn't work for me? Why not???
It's a simple process, I hit the Sample hot-swap in say Simpler, then scroll through my sample selection while my track is playing and I should hear my samples playing so I can preview how they sound with my track in context. But I only get a one-shot of the sample, it doesn't play with the midi notes?. WHHYYYY??

Ableton Studio 10.1.9 Win 10

Composum

Re: Hot swapping samples in context not working??

Post by Composum » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:08 pm

B166ER I totally agree with you. I am stumbled that such basic functionality is not present. That is changing a sample to another sample (in hot-swap mode) by single clicking on a sample or with up-down arrow keys. The newly selected sample should immediately play the midi pattern of the sample which is being swapped. This way you can quickly go true different samples and here how they sound in the track while it is playing. Implement please! Or am I missing something?

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:33 pm

Okay so i dont remember it wrong too.

arrow keys and the sample is changed on-the-fly when u can audition it.

What we have now is useless, to to double click every sample to swap it. I mean who comes up with such stupid stuff?

So hot wsapping is definitely broken and it worked on Live8.

Hope this gets at one point fixed? Because it is a very very strong feature.

Meanwhile im using battery 4 for this, it works alright, but i can split up midi tracks for elements and using 5 batteries is kind of stupid too.
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

Uliko

Post by Uliko » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:01 pm

Version 11 now but the Hot-Swap-Function still doesn't work. The preview is just a one-shot of the sound but the actual midi-information is playing the old sound. It would be such a great feature if it would work. Or do I get something wrong?