Audio latency when recording external audio effect to an audio trackt

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Seta666

Audio latency when recording external audio effect to an audio trackt

Post by Seta666 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi;

I have configured some guitar pedal I had laying around as external audio effects via return tracks. Even If I send audio from external hardware timing is spot on, Ableton compensates for the latency both in the external instrument and external audio fx.

The problem comes if I want to record that return track audio in a separate track. I set audio from return track, sounds ok when playing but audio is recorded with around 50ms latency. My RTL is 18.2ms at 256 Samples, I did the driver compensation test so it is calibrated. Delay compensation is on.

Any idea how to solve this?

szinya

Re: Audio latency when recording external audio effect to an audio trackt

Post by szinya » Sun May 17, 2020 8:30 pm

I had the same problem and found out that you have to disable the respective send on the track you wish to record your return track to. See here:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sation-FAQ
Which elements in Live are not subject to delay compensation?

Return tracks are not compensated when routed back to an audio track if the respective Send on the destination track is active
To restore the correct delay compensation for Return tracks routed to Audio tracks, disable the respective sends. You can disable a send by right clicking on the Send knob and choosing "Disable Send". For example, if you route Return Track A to Audio Track 1, right click on Send A on Track 1 and choose "Disable Send" to restore the correct latency compensation.