Performance recording issue - can't 'play over' while recording?

Discuss Push with other users.
AlexJoKeys

Performance recording issue - can't 'play over' while recording?

Post by AlexJoKeys » Sun May 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello all,

So I don't know if I've found a bug or a feature issue?

If I play my 'performance' its completely fine - If I hit record (to get a session recording) of my push/clip performance, I can no longer play 'over' a clip - as if the record 'arm' is off.

Basically, when not recording, I can play in a drum groove on a MIDI pad, loop a synth then while not 'recording' continue to add 'fills' over the drum pattern. If I hit record, I can only hear the playing grove and not play 'fills' over the top?

I was kinda expecting it to just record all the MIDI playing back into the session view but it seems if a clip/track is playing, you cant freestyle over it?

scheffkoch

Re: Performance recording issue - can't 'play over' while recording?

Post by scheffkoch » Mon May 11, 2020 8:42 pm

...unfortunately no…to be exact you can but without listening to it while in record mode…
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

AlexJoKeys

Post by AlexJoKeys » Thu May 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks for the reply!

My workaround for this is to have duplicated tracks...

So I have two MIDI tracks hosting the same drum rack - one of them is 'always on' - recording in the session view but it lives off my push view so it doesn't get targeted for clip recording.

It means I can 'hear' and 'play over' during recording (while another clip is looping..etc) - Its not ideal and slightly annoying that the level is of course double temporarily but at least for recording a live push performance I can get through it then deal with the doubles..etc in mix down.

Romeo Sterling

Post by Romeo Sterling » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:08 am

I agree, I find this bug blocks my jam to arrangement workflow massively. The workaround of duplicating tracks is messy, causes the program to become unreactive while duplicating and increases CPU load, which is far from ideal.

I've submitted a feedback ticket on the Ableton Centercode forum, so upvote it here if you want to see this issue fixed:

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 980d979926

If the link shouldn't work you can find it under the title: "Playing over looping MIDI clips while recording to arrangement"

Cheers
RS

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:41 pm

As annoying as it could be, this isn't a bug.
This is because Live can only play the content of a track from Session OR Arrangement, it can't play both simultaneously. When you're recording a Session clip into Arrangement you're basically "printing" it while it's playing.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Romeo Sterling

Post by Romeo Sterling » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:26 pm

Okay, is this fixable though?

It feels like an essential function to be able to record note variations during a jam session straight to the arrangement using loops.

It also seems odd to me that with Automation it doesn't create this problem - it both "prints" the looping automation and accepts new incoming CC.