OSC Midi Send from Ableton to Processing.org - erratic behaviour with events from multiple notes

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mr lovely

OSC Midi Send from Ableton to Processing.org - erratic behaviour with events from multiple notes

Post by mr lovely » Fri May 29, 2020 9:22 am

Hi,

I've been using the OSC Midi Send device from the Connection Kit pack to send midi messages from Ableton, so that I can control sketches and graphics in Processing.org

By and large this is working well, and allowing me to play and sequence visuals using clips in Live.

BUT, I have a lot of sporadic problems when playing multiple clips, as the stream of /note and /velocity events that is sent from OSC sometimes seems to get jumbled when there are multiple clips playing. Since each /note and /velocity event is sent independently, the velocity from noteA sometimes gets mixed with the velocity from noteB, including when a "note off" (i.e. velocity 0) from one clip plays when a note on is being played from another.

I've tried all sorts of solutions (synchronized threads, queues/stacks for incoming notes) but it just seems so erratic that I'm on the verge of giving up using the velocity info all together, and just using the incoming notes, which seems more robust. But this would be a shame as the velocity info can give a lot of richness to the graphics.

So, I was wondering if anyone else out there had been trying anything similar, or had an tips about how to handle incoming OSC events from the OSC Midi Send device where there are multiple notes playing. Or any alternative devices I should look into, that can give the note & velocity info together in one message?

thanks.
Mark.

broc

Re: OSC Midi Send from Ableton to Processing.org - erratic behaviour with events from multiple notes

Post by broc » Fri May 29, 2020 10:39 am

In fact, sending pitch and velocity as separate messages seems quite useless.
But you can easily make a device sending pitch & velocity in one message.

[midiin] > [midiparse] > [prepend /note] > [udpsend localhost xxxx]

mr lovely

Re: OSC Midi Send from Ableton to Processing.org - erratic behaviour with events from multiple notes

Post by mr lovely » Fri May 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks, I've never made a Max device so hadn't thought of trying to do this myself. I assumed the connection packs would already take care of this in the optimal way so thought I was missing something.

Will give creating my own Max device a go, but expect it will just unleash another stream of questions once I get into it.