Ableton

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ZenMusic

Ableton

Post by ZenMusic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Ableton may be fixed
Last edited by ZenMusic on Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

dna598

Re: alternatives to Ableton

Post by dna598 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:48 pm

I learned Reaper over the last coupla years to see what it can do with my Push, and just be in a different environment. (Live's load time also had something to do with it :wink: )

It's cheap and ugly, and does a lot. Loads quickly and is stable. Good hardware support. Takes a while to learn because it's so customizable, with loads of add ons available through the repository (accessed inside reaper). But there are loads of youtube vids that help with that. I just copied Live's key commands and window set up as best I could, and went from there.

It's also quite fun to use it with Ableton rewired into it. Feels like Live becomes a massive plug in, with a "bounce in place" function available via Reaper's rendering actions.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:08 pm

If you’re using a Mac, Logic Pro is good and reasonably inexpensive and has powerful, if unintuitive, MIDI capabilities (unless you need to run two synths on the same MIDI channel number when things get sticky).

On PC take a look at the free Cakewalk by Bandlab - which used to be the commercial DAW Cakewalk Sonar before Gibson had to terminate/sell a lot of their non-guitar brands because the company hadn’t been exactly well managed and couldn’t pay off loans on time. Commercial Sonar was powerful, very capable, the successor to one of the earliest PC MIDI sequencer applications and very well behaved. I think the free version lacks some of the “posher” stuff or things like plugins which required third-party licensing that came with the top for sale version, but the core is apparently still the same.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:48 pm

ZenMusic wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm
I have to find another DAW , Ableton crashes many times a day and support can't help me.

I'm will to spring for another what would be recommended, I do mostly electronic music composing, more symphonic (classical modern) and alternative / progressive music (lots of sequencers) . I do record long clips and have many hardware synths. Advice appreciated.
Bitwig (coming from ex Ableton's developers) is definitely the most natural and straightforward replacement for Ableton Live and I can highly recommend it, especially for electronic music and sound design. Improved experience over Live in many regards, IMHO.

ZenMusic

Post by ZenMusic » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 pm

thanks , I'm looking at Bitwig, Ableton is working better now.