Crash

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Radio Byzance

Crash

Post by Radio Byzance » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Hello,
Ableton hangs completely in the middle of my live set with an error message ("A serious program error has occurred ...). I have the impression that there is a problem with the automations but I do not I'm not sure.

I managed to isolate the bug on a scene where it still crashes to the same extent (even if it crashes in other places) which allowed me to reproduce the bug in different configurations The only configuration where I have not yet managed to reproduce the bug is when I remove the automations of clips before activating the corresponding sends.

Someone has an idea of ​​how to correct this problem because I would like to automate my sends live while being able to modify them and return to automation

cheakypawl

Re: Crash

Post by cheakypawl » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:15 pm

This has been happening on all versions of Live, at least 7, 8, 9, & 10. No one here or at Ableton can or will tell you why it happens, even if you produced a crash report (though it might, but it won't definitely solve it). It's apparently hard to pinpoint.
No one here or at Ableton has ever given a definitive response at to why this extremely scary (in DAW terms) message appears. You can delete your prefs, default channel, database (a "reset" basically), you can re-install, you can fully remove all of Ableton, and it can still appear.
You might be on to something, saying it is related, in your case, to automation. Try moving your plugins out of their normal place, opening a copy of that project, playing around, see what happens.
I have a large project (there's a clue - "large", Ableton cannot handle large projects the same way other DAWs do) giving me this message, but the window warning goes away, Live doesn't quit, I can work on the project, save, reopen, continue, without issue. Somewhat foolish of me working like this, unless I export all at 32 bit audio and load it into another empty DAW instead. Or an empty Live (no plugs).
Furthermore, this message now appears when I boot up a new empty project, even with the default project, not my own default empty project.
I suspect it is a plugin issue, probably one trying to phone home, maybe out of date.
Rescanning falls over too easily, giving false negatives. Best option is to take out your plugins, one at a time, but start with the most recently added plugins.
Good luck!
OSX 11.7.2, MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2015), Live 11

Tone Deft

Re: Crash

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:27 pm

no audio drop outs or glitching? just a crash to kill your mojo. is your system stable otherwise? it's just Live acting up?

what are your system specs? mac or PC? uP model? there are command lines for both to show exactly which chipset etc you're using.

ultimately I do find myself treating Live very carefully. carefully rebooting and shutting things down before I use it. that was out of care for uninterrupted workflow and fun. in hindsight I've realized that there isn't another single piece of software I've ever used personally or professionally that requires so much caution when using it. it still crashes.

I've developed this blind spot from using only Live for 15+ years. wanton ignorance on my part. a $1200 (last year) laptop where I'm limited by the number of tracks I can use and latency at 22mS still drives me nuts!!! I try to use Live as a part of my guitar practice and music creation and the latency still isn't usable, it sucks.

no harm in kicking the tires on Live, it's better feedback on the product. they need to hear these concerns.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz