Audio Clips "sticking" to mouse cursor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PihkaLT

Audio Clips "sticking" to mouse cursor

Post by PihkaLT » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi! So this problem started yesterday and it's pretty much killed the workflow at our studio.

When editing Audio Clips' length in Arrangement, very often the mouse "sticks" onto the clip, like I still held the mouse button down. Won't come off. When I move my mouse with no buttons pressed, the clip just keeps on shortening or lengthening. After about a minute everything works again. Until at some point the cursor sticks again.

Anyone with the same problem? I found a thread on this forum from 2009 with similar issues, but it wasn't much help.

Using Live 10 Suite on Windows 10 Pro, i7 8700K, 48Gb RAM, RME RayDAT.

Thanks in advance,
Lasse / PihkaSound

Tarekith

Re: Audio Clips "sticking" to mouse cursor

Post by Tarekith » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 pm

Battery in the mouse dying?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:16 am

Last time I saw a similar problem, it was the fancy non-standard mouse software.
♥♥♥

PihkaLT

Post by PihkaLT » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:34 am

Yep, thought about the battery in the mouse dying too. Although this problem exists only in Live, not in for example Davinci Resolve. Changed the batteries anyway, no help.

What "fancy non-standard" mouse software are we talking about? I've got a seemingly standard Logitech mouse with no other software but Windows' own, as far as I know. Last time you saw this problem, what was the solution more precisely?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:25 pm

Searching my browser history for "mouse", I found a older post in another forum saying that "smooth scrolling setting in the Logitech software" caused them problems (though I was remembering another older post that is not in my browser history anymore).
♥♥♥

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Logitech has software you should install for their mice, it's called "Logitech Options". Try that and see if it improves scrolling, as there's some additional settings in the software that might help.

PihkaLT

Post by PihkaLT » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Thank you for the advice everyone! I don't have the Logitech software installed. I will try it.

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:21 pm

This happens to me too, I don't have a Logitech mouse either. It's infuriating.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:14 pm

TheCoil wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:21 pm
This happens to me too, I don't have a Logitech mouse either. It's infuriating.
Did you try using another mouse?
Did you update anything (e.g OS, drivers...) recently?

No need to create a duplicate thread, so I deleted it. Thanks.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:36 pm

I have just reported this bug to Ableton, but wanted to chime in here: Did anybody find a solution, or is everyone still, like me, experiencing this problem on Live 11? As Live 11 is more intense on the CPU, this now happens even more often than in Live 10, and it's driving me nuts. It's not depending on any specific input device (tried different mouses and also a Wacom tablet throughout the years this has happened) as it seems, and affects both the Beta and stable versions of Live 10 and 11.
But what's the use in that
When you lie?

knoxvilletim

Post by knoxvilletim » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Hi ... Yes I'm having this issue but only on one audio sample. It doesn't happen on other audio samples. So for me at least, it isn't due to the mouse. I've tried consolidating the sample, changing the warp settings and it doesn't help. I'm going to try to continue to see if I can find a correlation with something else that may give insight into what's going on. Frustrating for sure!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:28 pm

There’s been a few reports of this, contact support@ableton.com and see if they can help sort you out.

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:28 pm
There’s been a few reports of this, contact support@ableton.com and see if they can help sort you out.
For me, they came up with rather general advice, like reducing CPU usage by freezing tracks, which didn't help a bit. Here's to hoping they'll find the problem.
When you lie?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Froschfinger wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:34 pm
Tarekith wrote:
For me, they came up with rather general advice, like reducing CPU usage by freezing tracks, which didn't help a bit. Here's to hoping they'll find the problem.
Did you send them a live set containing the offending sample/clip?
Btw, if you drag this clip into a new set, does the problem still occur?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:19 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:36 pm
Froschfinger wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:34 pm
Tarekith wrote:
Did you send them a live set containing the offending sample/clip?
Btw, if you drag this clip into a new set, does the problem still occur?
From what I remember, I did send a Live set in which it happens. It though is almost always reproducible once a certain threshold of CPU usage is reached. In my case, as many others also reported, it's not the offending sample, but occurs with each and every MIDI and audio track in those sets. This has even increased in Live 11. Since it seems to be dependent on the CPU usage, of course new sets do not have this problem, be it with new or clips from one of those problematic sets.
When you lie?