Combine MIDI data from two controllers to a single stream?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Matt_Quinn

Combine MIDI data from two controllers to a single stream?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to combine MIDI data from two controllers to a single stream.

I have used up all 6 of my control surface slots in Live. What I'd like to do is to create a virtual MIDI input that can accept MIDI data from two or more controllers, and pass that data on to a ClyphXPro script. So far I have tried:

-MidiOX (seems to do what I want but won't talk to Live, I think because it is 32 bit only)
-rtpMIDI (was able to create virtual MIDI ports, but not take input from multiple controllers)
-loopMIDI (same as rtpMIDI, could create ports but can't figure out controller routing)
-Bomes MT Classic (found this very confusing, wasn't able to accomplish anything of note)

I am willing to purchase software that will do this, I just don't want to buy something that doesn't work. It looks like Bomes MIDI Translator Pro would probably work, and the layout looks a lot clearer than the Classic version.

Any advice/ideas would be appreciated - thanks in advance.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

neuromodulator

Re: Combine MIDI data from two controllers to a single stream?

Post by neuromodulator » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi Matt,

I'm not following, apologies - why can't you do this with multiple MIDI tracks? Just create a dedicated track for each input and route their output to the merging track - does that not work? I'm probably missing something obvious.

Oh, I see ... it's not just a matter of MIDI input but of Live recognizing more than six control surfaces. Hmmm...

-a