Use tempo control from volca to ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phil0815

Use tempo control from volca to ableton

Post by phil0815 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Hello all,

is it possible to use the korg volca temp control knobs to control (is it CV signal?) the tempo of ableton? I know it will work the other way around from Ableton to volca with midi interface. But then it is blocking the midi input of my volca.

I want to use a audio jack cable from the volca (tempo outlet volca mix) to adapt the Ableton tempo? Is this possible. And if yes how?

TLW

Re: Use tempo control from volca to ableton

Post by TLW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 pm

I believe Live's CV tools can be used to sync Live to an analogue clocked system, but you need Live Suite to run the tools.

Clocking a Volca from Live using the Volca's non-MIDI clock input is certainly possible with any version of Live. The Korg clock is a pulse wave audio signal which can be recorded into Live like any other audio by connecting the Volca clock out to your audio interface, starting the Volca sequencer then recording the clock as it's transmitted by the Volca. Once recorded the clock audio clip can be quantised/warped to whatever tempo you want it to run at then sent from an interface audio out into the Volca's clock input. The signal does need to be at quite a high volume to work, but it works on my MIDI-less Volca Modular. As does using Korg's SyncKontrol app running on an iphone or ipad that's synced to Live's clock.

Even easier is to use the Volca's MIDI input for the clock from Live and pass all the MIDI you want to reach the synth through Live.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.