Clip envelope bug

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wongpongding

Clip envelope bug

Post by wongpongding » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:47 pm

So recording clips with clip automation from session view to arrangement view results in those tracks having a red background. The automation is visible in arrangement view by selecting a drop down but the background is red and a little 'no entry/not allowed' icon appears. I can find no documentation or similar questions doing the usual searches. Closing the project and opening it up again, the red track backgrounds are gone and I can adjust the automation. This is a pretty obvious bug that others must have encountered, right?

Cheers!

jestermgee

Re: Clip envelope bug

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 pm

wongpongding wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:47 pm
This is a pretty obvious bug that others must have encountered, right?
Don't ass-u-me because you do not know what is happening that it must be a "bug". Not a bug, a function of the software.

When you record automation, move controls for a track or trigger clips in session that has existing automation/recordings on a track in arrangement it "disables" that track in arrangement so it does not affect your performance and this is indicated by a dimmed track and the "BTA" button illuminating.

BTA Button?

To reset this, you need to press the "Back to Arrangement" button

Read this page (or google Ableton Back to Arrangement):
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/session-view/

Can also be helpful to read the whole novel as it's a good read, has an exciting plot twist that you may enjoy.

wongpongding

Post by wongpongding » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:20 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 pm
wongpongding wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:47 pm
This is a pretty obvious bug that others must have encountered, right?
Don't ass-u-me because you do not know what is happening that it must be a "bug". Not a bug, a function of the software.

When you record automation, move controls for a track or trigger clips in session that has existing automation/recordings on a track in arrangement it "disables" that track in arrangement so it does not affect your performance and this is indicated by a dimmed track and the "BTA" button illuminating.

BTA Button?

To reset this, you need to press the "Back to Arrangement" button

Read this page (or google Ableton Back to Arrangement):
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/session-view/

Can also be helpful to read the whole novel as it's a good read, has an exciting plot twist that you may enjoy.
Yeah mate, it's nothing to do with the back to arrangement button. I've rephrased my searches and it seems like a few others have this problem. I'm pretty sure it's a bug as there is no reason the only way to alter clip automation in arrangement view when this problem pops up is to close the project and re-open again.

I always consult the Live manual, 'tis a good read indeed although not sure about the plot twist, ha.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:25 am

Hmm, in that case can you post a screenshot of what it looks like? Certainly sounded like the BTA but maybe something different. Not something I have had happen I don't believe

wongpongding

Post by wongpongding » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:28 am

After setting everything up again, having previously reloaded the project to lose the red tracks, to repeat the bug and taking a screenshot, I discovered it is not possible to upload a pic without setting up an external web link. So a trawl revealed someone with the same problem who has done the whole external website screenshot palaver:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10638898@N07/12553153264/

It is those red tracks. You have to close the project and re-open in order to unlock them.

On mine there is nothing special on the red tracks, they are using the same ableton stock and third party vst as non-red tracks.

It has something to do with using the 'stop all tracks' button which is better to use as it will crop clips to the global quantise value, unlike the main stop button which stops everything immediately. However, there seems to be a bug here.

Try it: record tracks with clip automation from session to arrangement. Use the 'stop all clips' button to stop clips at global quantise value i.e. to round off your clips and then main stop button. For the bug test, I did 32 bars, 24 tracks, not all had active clips in. There were 2 red locked tracks. On the full project originally there were 192 bars and over half the tracks were red and locked.