Tascam Model 12 headphone panning issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
squelcht

Tascam Model 12 headphone panning issue

Post by squelcht » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Been awhile since I've been on here...Does anyone else own the Model 12 & notice an issue with it's headphone outputs not panning properly? The speakers connected to the mixers outputs will pan accordingly however the mix from the headphones will not. If panned hard left or right it just remains a mono signal in both headphone speakers...I'm currently working with TEAC/TASCAM tech support & I'm starting to think it might be a malfunction with the mixe. If anyone has a Model 12 & can test it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

cojoke

--

Post by cojoke » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 pm

---

ob1quixote

Re: Tascam Model 12 headphone panning issue

Post by ob1quixote » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:12 pm

I hope you got your situation sorted out, squelcht. I just ran into something like this yesterday so I'm recording what I figured out here because your post came up when I searched for "ableton panning model 12." It frustrated me all night last night and there was no time to fix it because I was on deadline.

What I figured out this morning is that when I set channels 1/2 to 0dB on Aux 1 and put Aux 1 in my headphones, it's a stereo mix and things aren't panned like I expected. If I pan channels 1/2 to left and right on the mixer and route Main to the headphones, I can hear the panning. Looking at the block diagram in the manual, that makes sense to me now.

I had been putting Aux 1 in my headphones so that I could record my performance to the SD card on Main, also route those channels into Ableton and record there too, and then monitor the return from Ableton in the headphones. Which was a good setup, but messed me up as I was trying to mix this past weekend. If only Sub was a choice for the phones output.

Just goes to show, always zero it out after every practice session so that you don't forget why you've got certain knobs and switches in certain positions and you get practice on the mixer too.