Need a simple live microphone feature! Help!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Artas1984

Need a simple live microphone feature! Help!

Post by Artas1984 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Greetings!

I have Ableton Live 10 Lite installed and i am using SSL2 as my recording and listening hardware. I also have 4 SSL VST plug-ins installed, but perhaps i won't need them.

I don't work with MIDI, and i am not interested in any post production modification. However, i desperately need a feature, that would allow some basic voice alteration when singing into microphone directly, live. When i am recording, i tend to hear what i am recording, with headphones on, but the microphone input is very blank and muffles the sound. The mic itself is not the problem - it is Beyerdynamic TG-V50 and it sounded great when i used it before with an Asus Essence ST PCI card. That card came with a very basic software that would turn on the effect like ''hall'' or ''live'' - that way i could record my singing directly into audacity and would not have to change any attributes after.

I do see a lot of effects in Ableton menu, and my microphone is being monitored in an audio track - that i see, but i am guessing all the effects are meant to edit audio after the record? Is there an option in Ableton that would change the input of microphone directly, make it more live?

TLW

Re: Need a simple live microphone feature! Help!

Post by TLW » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:11 pm

The track monitoring function sounds like what you are looking for. It allows monitoring of incoming audio through Live and any processing applied to the audio will also be audible while tracking.

To monitor a track’s input set the monitoring function to “in”, or record arm the track and set monitoring to “auto”.
To hear audio that’s already been recorded into a track set the monitoring to “auto”.

MIDI track monitoring works in a similar way.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Artas1984

Re: Need a simple live microphone feature! Help!

Post by Artas1984 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Ok, i've got it almost working. I can hear myself while recording with the added room/hall effects, but the exported audio HAS NOTHING. The files are empty. WTF? They have weight and the proper duration, but no recording. I made sure i have exported them properly. My output is fine, i can hear other audio files.