Moving the Start Stop and Loop Brace Simultaneously

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonel

Moving the Start Stop and Loop Brace Simultaneously

Post by jonel » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:16 pm

I'm in Arrangement view and I've recorded multiple takes of a melody by recording over a 4-bar loop. When I come to audition the 'takes' I was expecting to be able to drag the Start/Stop as well as the Loop Brace at the same time. I'm sure I've seen this done and I'm sure I've done this myself in the past, but not today. When I move by shifting on the double headed arrow on the midi clip I succeed in only moving the loop brace, but the start/stop remains where it was and I have to move this independently, which is a real pain. Am I mistaken or am I doing something wrong!

Thanks

Fanu

Re: Moving the Start Stop and Loop Brace Simultaneously

Post by Fanu » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:52 pm

Click on the loop brace to highlight it.
Then, using up/down arrows moves the loop brace by the current grid value, and playhead moves with it, too.

jonel

Post by jonel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply, but this is the method I've tried before. In arrangement view I highlight the brace (double headed arrow) and then use the up/down arrow on the the keyboard but only the brace moves.

jonel

Post by jonel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:27 pm

I now realise I didn't really understand the relationship between the start marker and the loop brace. After I created the clip (4 bar in my case) I hadn't set the clip loop mode to on. When I did that I still didn't initially catch on because as I up-arrowed, the loop brace moved but the start marker refused to follow. It was not until I had moved the loop brace fully into the previous loop segment that the start marker followed. Thereafter it did as expected (no shift key required)

Now it falls into place. It takes a bit of time but that's me I suppose.

The funny thing is, after it started to work I couldn't re-create the same conditions because the up-arrow always moved a loop length (as it says on the tin) but this was not what happened when I first encountered the problem. Honest guv!