Live Enhancement Suite working with Live 11?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spice3d

Live Enhancement Suite working with Live 11?

Post by spice3d » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:09 am

I heard that Live 11 no longer recognizes “quotes” in search queries. This limits LES’s ability to differentiate between plug-ins with similar names. Anyone run into this using Live 11 beta? The workaround is to save as an .adg/.adv with a unique name and search for that. Boy, I hope this is a Live 11 bug. Doesn’t sound like a feature. I’m still using 10, so I can’t confirm.

Here is a link reporting the problem on the LES website. It’s under the Overview section. https://docs.enhancementsuite.me/menu_c ... troduction

cskracer

Re: Live Enhancement Suite working with Live 11?

Post by cskracer » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:57 am

Seems to work for me.

Even adding a space to make "drone tapes" works. I just get the Drone Tapes.adg file in the screenshot above appearing as a result.

spice3d

Post by spice3d » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks so much for your reply @cskracer.

Drone Tapes is probably not a good test since it is unique. That is, no matter how you search for it, even Tapes Drone (no quotes), would give you just Drone Tapes.adg. I think the problem is when there are similarly named items, perhaps in reverse order.

Could you try this for me please? First , press Ctrl+F first, so Ableton looks in All results (ie everywhere). Then search for boom 808 (no quotes) and then "boom 808"

Here is what I get in Live 10. Notice that the order of terms matters when using quotes. Does Live 11 have the same results? TIA

cskracer wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:57 am
Seems to work for me.

Even adding a space to make "drone tapes" works. I just get the Drone Tapes.adg file in the screenshot above appearing as a result.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:30 am

Interesting. It is different. Searching without quotes returns more results.

spice3d

Post by spice3d » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:37 pm

Well, your results are exactly what I would expect them to be. That is, the same as Live 10. Searching without quotes should give you more results since the order of the words doesn’t matter. Boy, that’s a head-scratcher. I don’t see what the problem is and what the LES documentation means when it says they removed the literal search functionality. Oh well, I guess I’ll find out eventually when I upgrade. I think I’ll email LES and ask. I’ll reply if I learn anything. Thanks so much dude.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:41 am

No dramas mate. Happy to help.

spice3d

Post by spice3d » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:02 pm

I just heard back from LES support and he confirms that literal searches are working again in Live 11. The document edits will be removed. YAY!

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:12 am

Unfortunately, I'm not as lucky with Live 11.0b29. When I try to call "LFO.adv" from the menu I get several search results that include the LFO.adv, but Live always loads the first entry which is a preset called "Breath Hose(FM-LFO).adv" This shouldn't load since there is a bracket between the O and the dot. Am I doing something wrong? The majority of other devices load fine, but some just don't an I have no idea why.

spice3d

Post by spice3d » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Horselover Fat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:12 am
Unfortunately, I'm not as lucky with Live 11.0b29. When I try to call "LFO.adv" from the menu I get several search results that include the LFO.adv, but Live always loads the first entry which is a preset called "Breath Hose(FM-LFO).adv" This shouldn't load since there is a bracket between the O and the dot. Am I doing something wrong? The majority of other devices load fine, but some just don't an I have no idea why.
I did a test in Live 10 and saved a .adv file with parenthesis in the name. I got the same result as you: parenthesis are ignored even in quotes.

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:09 am

Hmm, this looks as though nothing has changed from Live 10 to 11 in that regard and this most important feature of Live Enhancement Suite will continue to not work. :( Unless Ableton or the author of LES know something we don't.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 am

What stops people from renaming the LFO.adv to something else, like LFFO or even a shorter name like LF.adv?

Also, why not simply query for LFO, without .adv?

In Live 11 LFO is part of Live's devices like Utility or Simpler, so LFO without adv shows in the top for "LFO" query (in my system "lf" is enough to put LFO as the first result), just like just "op" shows Operator as first result (Live's own devices always top the searches).
♥♥♥

spice3d

Post by spice3d » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:52 pm

@pottering Yup, the workaround has always been giving problematic things unique names. Dunno if I would rename the actual file though. The simple fix is to group the offending item by itself, give the group a unique name, and save it.

The LES docs really don’t go into it, but it’s a bit of an art (sometimes) to get just the right query to get what you want at the top of the list. It can take a bit of trial and error as you have demonstrated.

Horselover Fat

Post by Horselover Fat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 pm

Thank you for pointing out the fact that I don't have to call an "LFO.adv". It works indeed. However, there are cases where it doesn't work and at the moment I am hesitant to rename the devices in order to make them first in the list. This kind of tweaking increases chaos in my library/on the disk and basically is a workaround for a workaround (LES). This feels like trying to setup parameter mappings for 3rd party plugins on Push. There's a workaround (PrEditor) but it doesn't work in every case.

spice3d

Post by spice3d » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:53 pm

@Horselover No need to rename files. Just group the offending item by itself, give the group a unique name, and save it.

filtersweep

Post by filtersweep » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:14 pm

I'm not sure this is the same thread I was on yesterday.
Anyway, as I was curious about why this doesn't work the way I'd like, I checked the settings document and noticed that there was a 'VST' typed after the plugin, like so:

Surge
"Surge" vst

It's working fine now. Super useful : )