Solo one track from a group

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
csapoa

Solo one track from a group

Post by csapoa » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:20 am

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a solution. I have 10 tracks.
3 of these does the same function, but variations. I would like to select one of these three with a midi pedal to solo while the rest of the 7 tracks are keep playing.

If I can do this selection and it would only be applied in the beginning of the loop, that would be ideal, but if you have a solution for the first problem otherwise, I would be happy to hear it.

Thank you.

Greenapples2019

Re: Solo one track from a group

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:37 pm

Hey csapoa, welcome to the forum.

As far as I know there's no easy way to do what you want within Ableton but you can do it quite easily with ClyphX Pro, although rather than soloing one of the three tracks in the group you may find it easier to mute the other two. That way, you don't have to do anything to the other 7 tracks. You can then set up a midi controller to have three buttons; 1 mutes tracks 2/3, 2 mutes 1/3 and 3 mutes 1/2. I hope that makes sense?

(There may be a M4L device that does it but I only have standard edition so can't confirm).

Cheers
D

csapoa

Post by csapoa » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:12 pm

Thank you for your answer! The only issue is I have 3 buttons on my foot controller for selecting one of the tracks. If One mutes the other two then I have to press it again to unmute them, then select another pedal for muting the new desired configuration. I would like to do this with one button press.
I could create a bus channel for these three channels, is there any way to configure a switch for the input of this channel? Or a one button configuration that unmutes a channel but mutes the other two?

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:00 pm

You're welcome! I struggled trying to get Ableton to mute/solo channels easily, especially to do multiple actions at the same time. But ClyphX Pro takes care of it easily: you would have three actions (mute 2/3; mute 1/3; mute 1/2) and then have one switch linked to each action. That way you can switch between hearing track 1, 2 or 3 by pressing the right switch. And you can choose whether the change happens immediately or at the start of the next bar.

Or if you always wanted to go in that order you could have one switch and every time you pressed it you would move onto the next track. Or you could probably (depending on your controller) set it up so that a short press moved up a track, and a long press moved down a track. Either way, you'd then still have two switches left for other functions.

There's a really good forum for ClyphX Pro https://forum.nativekontrol.com/board/45/clyphx-pro to give you an idea of how much you can adjust in Ableton.

Cheers
D

csapoa

Post by csapoa » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:53 pm

This sound amazing! Thanks!

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:08 am

Hi there...

I know It's been 1 year, but did you find any concrete solution for this problem ?

I'm in the same problem : I want to be able to solo only one track among a group of 3 (keeping all the rest unmute), or mute 2-3 while 1 is on in a group of 3 tracks, all this using 3 midi buttons.

I'm in the same problem as described above : I need to have the midi button n°1 highlighted when track 1 is soloed, and I want to switch to track 2 soloed with number n°2 highlighted (and button n°1 turned off) with just a button press.

Actually, exactly like a solo feature, but only for a group of tracks. I'm surprised nobody did that in a M4L device (and I'm too dumb to do it myself).