Focusrite Scarlett Solo - issues with browser and VLC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zauberer

Focusrite Scarlett Solo - issues with browser and VLC

Post by Zauberer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi,

sorry for the dumb question. I've been using my Focusrite Scarlett Solo for a few months and I am still learning how to grasp the basics. So far I managed to use it perfectly with Ableton and I'm able to hear perfectly my recordings.

However, the issue shows up when I'm trying to use my Solo in order to listen to stuff being reproduced by Google Chrome (such as a Youtube Video) or by VLC. What I get is a muffled sound, not unlike what you could get when "Master" is selected in Ableton instead of "Ext Out 2" (the setting I need to use to listen to what I just recorded). I'm using Windows 8.

I selected Focusrite as default device when it comes to play audio and I've been also trying with different sample rates from Focusrite Control, sadly without any result. The audio is still terrible and it feels like being underwater.

I am pretty sure that there is some basic setting I do not know about, but I have no idea what I should do in order to have the audio from other softwares processed by my Scarlett Solo.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thank you in advance!

EDIT: if this could be of any help, for some reason the audio works fine when Youtube is playing, for example, a clean guitar. In that case Solo is able to reproduce it perfectly, before going back to muffled sounds for basically everything else.

Mark Williams

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Solo - issues with browser and VLC

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:22 pm

Enusre you are using the same settings for Windows and the Focusrite, sample rates etc, they must match exactly or you get issues.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Zauberer

Post by Zauberer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:22 pm
Enusre you are using the same settings for Windows and the Focusrite, sample rates etc, they must match exactly or you get issues.
I did so, the settings used for my speakers are 24 bit, 48000 hz and the same settings are applied from Focusrite Control - which allow me to change only the sample rate and the buffer size. I tried with all buffering sizes, without any success.

What is weird is that, when accessing to the Windows Sound Panel and then the advanced settings of Focusrite, I have the opportunity to play a preview and what I get is a crystal clear sound. However, the issue persists in every other possible way.

Basically, I entered sample rate 48000 (or 48 kHz) and I tried with every possible buffer size and with both the "enable" and "disable" options associated to the "Retain 48V" feature. I also have two options, "Clock source" and "Clock status", which cannot be amended though (the former being "USB Internal", the latter "SYNCED").

Basically I ran out of options to amend on Focusrite's end. Is there some other setting I am missing out? I am also trying the option listed here (https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -for-Audio, the "System settings" section), but it is not working so far :?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:25 pm

Also check you are using the correct generation Scarlett drivers they are not all the same.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Zauberer

Post by Zauberer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:22 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:25 pm
Also check you are using the correct generation Scarlett drivers they are not all the same.
I uninstalled the current drivers and installed those available on the website for the correct gen (mine is 3rd gen) and it is even worse. It's basically mute and not even barely understandable anymore (not that it was possible to discern many words earlier... :D )

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 am

If the output from Live sounds fine and the test tone from the Windows Sound Panel sounds fine, then it's not the drivers.

Seems this is a common problem if your computer uses Realtek for the audio.

Too bad I'm a Mac guy :?

Zauberer

Post by Zauberer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:30 pm

doghouse wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 am
If the output from Live sounds fine and the test tone from the Windows Sound Panel sounds fine, then it's not the drivers.

Seems this is a common problem if your computer uses Realtek for the audio.

Too bad I'm a Mac guy :?
My computer uses RealTek indeed... :cry: Unlike the guy in the article, the audio doesn't work with Edge either. Thank you for this info though! Also I didn't know that in this case drivers were not involved

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:08 pm

You must ensure that Windows is using the Focusrite as its soundcard and not the onboard realtek, also make sure the Scarlett is plugged into a direct USB port and NOT a hub, the Scarletts can be extremely picky with usb ports, and do not like going through a Hub.