Live11 variation snapshots not in envelopes list?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
franky80y

Live11 variation snapshots not in envelopes list?

Post by franky80y » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:38 am

Live11 variation snapshots feature, at least numbers selection and play, cannot be accessed via clip envelopes? please tell me that we do not have to wait another year for this to happen

jbone1313

Re: Live11 variation snapshots not in envelopes list?

Post by jbone1313 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:46 pm

This is one of the first things I checked. Yes, I wish this was a thing. There are some M4L devices which allow something like this. I do not have the links handy.

SPECULATION TIME:
I imagine this will never be implemented. Here is why.

If you look at what the variations are doing when you trigger them, they are causing the macros to move, as if you were turning those macros by hand. I bet including that in the envelope list will be vary difficult when you consider latency compensation and all sorts of other things.

Again, pure speculation here.

franky80y

Post by franky80y » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Hi there thanks for the reply. I am currently using the manual method, the M4L device you mentioned and a script based external (CLYPHX PRO). The latter capable of targeting up to 3000 UI changes in real-time. No issues of latency anywhere, in-studio and live. So it's definitely not latency related, especially if addressed at a lower level of the API.

Tbh it looks like a basic UI design flaw. Hopefully, it will be reviewed so that I/users don't have to rely on externals script or code.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:38 pm

I simply record in session to have the automation inside the clip

For this off course I duplicate the loop inside the clip to have plenty space and time to switch from one snapshot to others.

After, it's just a matter of putting things in place, maybe sliding some automation's lanes...

With ableton live, it's often fun to find workarounds to achieve what one got in mind.