Does the icon and splash screen for Live 11 Standard really have to be so ugly!?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Does the icon and splash screen for Live 11 Standard really have to be so ugly!?

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 am
LOL, haven't see that pic in YEARS!
Are you under this cap?
Ableton Forum Moderator

woobei

Re: Does the icon and splash screen for Live 11 Standard really have to be so ugly!?

Post by woobei » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:01 pm

Stefan Jantschek wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 am
Come on dudes,
The Hello Kitty Pink 10 beta splash changed into a decent 11 beta syringa style.
Thank you for that was my first impression.
i never had to endure MSPAINT PINK but i can imagine :lol:
Stefan Jantschek wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 am
Associate my music with it?
Yes, my 10 beta works sound kinda pink...
Luckily less Girly Pink than Floyd Pink.
:lol:
i can see you're having a laugh, but it's a serious point to make -- how we interact with our musical instruments changes how we use them. thats why sports cars are cool colours, why their internals 'look fast', why coke makes us feel cool, why dave smith still uses wooden side panels, why the industrial look of the jupiter 8 matches the music that is out from it etc etc without much thought it may seem flippant, but aesthetics are very important.

woobei

Post by woobei » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:18 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:10 pm
What I was saying is that you might be caring about yourself just a little bit too much... nobody at ableton choose this color to piss you off or send you a subliminal reminder of how unperfect you are because you're not in the Suite heros' team.
And yeah, you're not much, neither I. We're reaaallly tiny.
And I'm colourblind too, btw :lol:
i might be caring about myself too much? again, im not making a comment on myself, im making a comment on a hideous colour. that affects everyone whether they realise it or not.

and yes, i can assure you, as someone who has worked in industrial design that they do use the shittier colours on cheaper products. cheap cars dont get the cool colours, cheap iphones get the shit colours (iphone 5 plastic back had one that was a 'snot' colour), standard iphones get the plain colours, premium iphones get the premium colours. this is why credit cards come in different colours -- so when you swipe it at the teller 'everyone can see' how rich you are -- do you have a credit card in a 'childs pop' colour or the 'executive black with grey stripe'?

this is an intentional move by ableton to distinguish those who have paid the full amount and those who have not. that is why the splash is a different colour in the first place, and why the cheaper product is branded "STANDARD" in big letters. so when i open a session in front of a friend or client, they can see ive got the "cheap" version.

this is the way the world works, we define ourselves through the products we buy. but i don't need the things in suite. it's not that i can't afford it. i dont want to pay for things i dont need. and i dont care if people see that i've paid for the full version or not. i only care that it makes me feel pretty gross to see that revolting colour.

in my opinion it would have been a better move for ableton to make the standard version "plain", a black or grey or something non offensive, and then to make the suite version a 'cooler' or 'premium' colour. but to make your own product look shit? thats a dumb move imo.

sorry for your colour blindness. i personally have no sense of smell.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:16 am

If the issue was the way the actual GUI was displayed, your point would be valid, but you are making a bit of an assumption that how you see the colour (ugly) is the same way everyone sees it (personally I find it soothing) and that others are as vain to care what they see in that 3 seconds while Live loads and that it is somehow a reflection of what version one needs to use and that Ableton are applying this degradation of social status to every user out there using some kind of subliminal trick.

I find your suggestion of using Black to be worse/ugly as it is now devoid of any colour and is now just a shade so technically the colour is now no colour which means it is even less of a product so more of a statement of being cheap... can't even afford to put in even a lick of colour into the logo.

The splash colours changes every release. This really does drive home the point that people will complain about almost anything these days, even the stuff that doesn't affect the way the program operates at all, just how it "makes you feel...", like calling up to complain about the colour of a box that the product comes in. Kind of is a laugh really.

woobei

Post by woobei » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:04 am

jestermgee wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:16 am
I find your suggestion of using Black to be worse/ugly as it is now devoid of any colour and is now just a shade so technically the colour is now no colour which means it is even less of a product so more of a statement of being cheap... can't even afford to put in even a lick of colour into the logo.
oh thats funny you think black is cheap, because thats what the 11 splash colour is for suite. and 10 suite was black and grey aha. you must think 10 suite was cheap too aha.

my point was, the less expensive version could have been the "less of a product" (black) as you say, and the more expensive version (suite) could have "a lick of colour" as you say.

you find MSPAINT Cyan Blue soothing? aha https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The ... _221309119

good one.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:24 am

Why is it strange I find cyan soothing. And I have suite and the splash is not black, it is as you describe, blue. Anyway, ur point is made and nothing will change and the world will carry on as normal and you will learn to live with it like we all do.

woobei

Post by woobei » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 am

jestermgee wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:24 am
Why is it strange I find cyan soothing. And I have suite and the splash is not black, it is as you describe, blue. Anyway, ur point is made and nothing will change and the world will carry on as normal and you will learn to live with it like we all do.
it is strange that you find mspaint fluro cyan blue soothing, because thats not how everyone else describes soothing colours

https://imgpile.com/i/7Hnqv1

and yes, i dealt with it by using a complimentary colour as my background, which neutralises how ugly it is.

https://imgpile.com/i/7HnAUL

all the best.

ableton, if you're listening, please hire a colour expert.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Beggars belief, that you spend so much time looking at the splash screen or icon!!!

Quit moaning and actually use the software...
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:20 pm

woobei wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 am
jestermgee wrote:
it is strange that you find mspaint fluro cyan blue soothing, because thats not how everyone else describes soothing colours

and yes, i dealt with it by using a complimentary colour as my background, which neutralises how ugly it is.

all the best.

suggesting that "everyone" finds the same kinds of sensory experience soothing or otherwise is a ridiculous thing to claim. personally i find the "complementary" darker blue background you used far more offensive than the cyan in the splash screen.

in a world jam-packed full of serious trauma i'm finding this thread quite soothing in its absurdity!

carry on!

woobei

Post by woobei » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:20 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:59 pm
Beggars belief, that you spend so much time looking at the splash screen or icon!!!

this is an illogical argument, you want me to use the software, which causes the splash to show, but you don't want me to spend time looking at the splash screen.

also an illogical argument, i should quit moaning, but on the other hand you read all the way to the end of the thread... and then made a comment. aha

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:27 pm

woobei wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:20 pm
Mark Williams wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:59 pm

this is an illogical argument, you want me to use the software, which causes the splash to show, but you don't want me to spend time looking at the splash screen.

also an illogical argument, i should quit moaning, but on the other hand you read all the way to the end of the thread... and then made a comment. aha
Then stop moaning uninstall software and go elsewhere, there problem solved.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

woobei

Post by woobei » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:20 pm
woobei wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 am
jestermgee wrote:

all the best.

suggesting that "everyone" finds the same kinds of sensory experience soothing or otherwise is a ridiculous thing to claim. personally i find the "complementary" darker blue background you used far more offensive than the cyan in the splash screen.

in a world jam-packed full of serious trauma i'm finding this thread quite soothing in its absurdity!

carry on!
clearly i was using the word "everyone" to point at the majority of people, and not in the strict sense "every single person on the plant, no exceptions"

yes, we are taught how to react to colours by our culture. here's a video to get you started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM4fXB23pCQ

and complimentary colours are not a personal opinion of mine, it's a science based on math for combining colours. every graphic designer on the planet uses it to design the products you use every day. (and by "every graphic designer" i dont mean literally every graphic designer on the planet, i mean most of them)

https://www.canva.com/colors/color-wheel/

cheers!

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:40 pm

woobei wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 pm

clearly i was using the word "everyone" to point at the majority of people, and not in the strict sense "every single person on the plant, no exceptions"

yes, we are taught how to react to colours by our culture. here's a video to get you started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM4fXB23pCQ

and complimentary colours are not a personal opinion of mine, it's a science based on math for combining colours. every graphic designer on the planet uses it to design the products you use every day. (and by "every graphic designer" i dont mean literally every graphic designer on the planet, i mean most of them)

cheers!
Dont know what majority you speak for, but it certainly is not here, where your the minority. As I said previously a simple solution to your personal hatred of a splash screen and icon colour, uninstall it and you will never have to look at it again., therein lies the solution to the problem.

woobei

Post by woobei » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:40 pm
woobei wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:30 pm

cheers!
Dont know what majority you speak for, but it certainly is not here, where your <sic> the minority. As I said previously a simple solution to your personal hatred of a splash screen and icon colour, uninstall it and you will never have to look at it again., therein lies the solution to the problem.
yes, you made the point twice, i should stop using the software i use to make music because i don't like the splash screen. can you see what a dumb argument that is? i don't want to stop using the software.

im making the suggestion that

- ableton hire a graphic designer who doesn't use mspaint
- ableton make a splash colour picker
- ableton let us easily hack the splash like they used to

customer feedback is an important part of product development. take for example uli behringer -- he literally goes online and says "what do you want" -- thats good business imo, unfortunately he could do with a user interface designer too.

another example is elon musk, you whinge, he changes the product. https://matterapp.com/blog/negative-fee ... o-awesome/

all the best, glad this thread is so engaging for you.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:49 am

Just ignore Mark, he likes to think he runs the forums and he doesn't. People are welcome to suggest things they'd like in Live here regardless of how popular or not they might be, that's the whole point.
Ableton Forum Administrator