New iMac or Wait?? Apple vs. Intel [Solved]

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: New iMac or Wait?? Apple vs. Intel

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:16 am

H20nly wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:12 pm
This wasn't exactly what I was thinking about but...

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD46 ... et-adapter

and

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thu ... et-adapter

food for thought. Gotta eat my lunch... it just showed up :P
Yeah, Synology and Qnap both sell 10GbE to Thunderbolt adaptors and essentially that's what the Qnap is doing. All of them are likely running on TB3 speeds though, 20GbE, then the conversion and around 1100 MB/s is the max probably. That's the rub on the TB4 box, but I'm not sure the wait is worth it? You would have to fill it with SSDs to get groundbreaking speed, and that gets expensive quick if you want to also use it for storage and Time Machine backups.

So in some ways I'm still torn, you can get 4TB NVME drives for around $400, for immediate needs, (I'm outgrowing my 1TB 2.5" SSDs, and 4TB sample library), then just accept around 1100MB/s which is more than fine for backup and most of my sample Library. So just going NAS for backup and the random rarely used libraries and samples I've collected over the years, and continuing to use direct TB with an NVME enclosure for content. That's probably the way to go, so the debate is to wait for this TB4 DAS or just get a solid 10GbE Synology or Qnap? There's a crazy cool Qnap NAS, 10GbE included, I keep thinking I should just jump on. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QS1K2SJ/?c ... _lig_dp_it

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:16 am
I keep thinking I should just jump on. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QS1K2SJ/?c ... _lig_dp_it
That's a pretty nice looking unit. Having the hybrid drive types would be cool. You could use HDDs for TimeMachine and items that don't require any extra speed and then use the SSD bays for a second partition that is rip-shit-fast for any type of file transfer needs. You could also move files back and forth between the two partitions internally as needed. Plus you get the 10GbE speed for move data input and output to and from the unit.

I can see why you're leaning toward it.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:28 pm

In other news, I read an article today talking about the iMac Pro and projected release date of April...

*fingers crossed*
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:32 pm

In NZ we’d say you’re “fizzing at the bung” for this.

It translates as great anticipation or keen-ness.

The metaphor is either a keg of alcohol or, ahem, a lady.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:32 pm

H20nly wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm
Machinesworking wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:16 am
I keep thinking I should just jump on. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QS1K2SJ/?c ... _lig_dp_it
That's a pretty nice looking unit. Having the hybrid drive types would be cool. You could use HDDs for TimeMachine and items that don't require any extra speed and then use the SSD bays for a second partition that is rip-shit-fast for any type of file transfer needs. You could also move files back and forth between the two partitions internally as needed. Plus you get the 10GbE speed for move data input and output to and from the unit.

I can see why you're leaning toward it.
yeah my only caveat is maybe even faster speeds with the unreleased as of yet TB4 4 bay, can't recall but I think it has two internal NVME slots as well that can be used as drives or cache. So I'm going to wait and see, if the TB4 unit can move data via the NVME slots at near NVME speed then it might be worth it, I don't think you're going to hit 2000MB/s with the 9 Bay 10GbE Qnap here, but you might be able to hit 1500MB/s.

I'm just trying to set it and forget it, not have to buy another one in five years etc.

Also, NVME ssds have come way down in price, to 2.5" SSD ranges. 4TB drives can be had in either format for around $400. 8)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:47 am

@Machinesworking - I’m still trying to figure out what you plan to do with all that speed. From a geek perspective it’s friggin awesome, don’t get me wrong… But from an everyday use perspective, how does it help?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:13 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:32 pm
In NZ we’d say you’re “fizzing at the bung” for this.

It translates as great anticipation or keen-ness.

The metaphor is either a keg of alcohol or, ahem, a lady.
:lol:

I feel like Apple is making me take them jizzing in the lung… The stupid click bait ‘this guy has predicted the last 257 keynotes’ type articles are killing me. I keep looking for sure signs or indications that the iMac is coming but the story keeps floundering. The last one I looked at was pissing around with monitor components shortages… and iPhone 19, or whatever number they’re at that has an extra megapixel, 9% more battery life, 3 millimeter larger screen, whatever port/feature they’re removing this time, and the guestimated models that will be sure to shortchange someone… Basically, the typical iPhone type predictions that amount to nothing special anymore. Then there’s the 1 laptop model that’s bound to have an annoying drive size like 256 GB - ditto for Mac Mini :roll:
I like their products, but I feel like the hoopla is mostly played out. I wish there was less build up… the foreplay is off putting. I feel like most of us paying attention are ready to buy, but just don’t want to get an older model when a refresh is imminent… Maybe I’m projecting. *shrugs* If I’d have known it was gonna take this long to give them 3000 bucks, I’d have tried to make some interest off it ffs

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 pm

I was waiting quite a long time for the MacBook Pro. Felt like eternity. Dealing with the same bullshit ‘hype’-othetical stories and videos.

It’s a tormenting wait. But when it happens, you give them your money, and then wait even longer. Fun fun ..but my laptop works great. Was even surprised by the speakers.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:12 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 pm
I was waiting quite a long time for the MacBook Pro. Felt like eternity. Dealing with the same bullshit ‘hype’-othetical stories and videos.

It’s a tormenting wait. But when it happens, you give them your money, and then wait even longer. Fun fun ..but my laptop works great. Was even surprised by the speakers.
Nice. Glad you're juiced. Good hardware, especially when it's a upgrade, feels so good to get up and running. I'm looking forward to having overhead again with hardware that has a reasonable level of future proofing baked in for a while.

I recently started using iZotope plugins. My Waves plugins cannot be upgraded any further with my OS/hardware because of the graphics card. :roll: FFS. I didn't even know "metal" was thing... I guess because I've never considered graphics when making any DAW related purchase - at most I get a dedicated GPU so the available RAM for music isn't used for display. I think the paint job on most Waves plugins looks Windows 98 level trashy anyway. The iZotope plugs work well, and look better while they're doing it, on my DAW for now. I have to be careful to save frequently because Live will occasionally become indefinitely hung if I add a plugin while another plugin UI is open; which sucks because the prior plugin is usually pretty close to dialed in if I'm opening the next one. It's times like these where I appreciate an application that has a recovery option.* Thankfully, that scenario hasn't resulted in any meaningful loss beyond a few settings and the time it takes to Force Close and open everything back up. It's also consistent enough to be fairly avoidable without additional caveats; since I can typically go back and add the plugin to get what I was after.

*Thanks Live devs - you've saved my ass over a dozen times after crashes with the two tracks I'm currently working on. I owe the coder and whom ever approved the feature a few beers

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:47 pm

Oh these fuckers just upped the ante on me…

Looking at Mac Studio M1 Max now… waiting for them to announce the soul crushing price on the keynote…

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:08 pm

The pain (and the wait) is almost over…

Just placed an order for a Mac Studio M1 Max with 64 GB RAM and a 4 TB SSD

:x

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:48 pm

Mazeltov!! 🥳
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

steko

Post by steko » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:41 pm

Congrats! 8)
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:19 pm

Thank you. Thank you…

A little bummed about the monitor… But the Mac Studio actually has an HDMI port :idea:
It’s so small I can move it around and (non-Apple) monitors are cheap these days, so I’ll pick something extra wide up and call it a day. I almost purchased Apple’s new display and then came to my senses - it’s $1600 a doesn’t even give hand jobs :x

Looking forward to an idling CPU and RAM for days. I can’t wait to open all my plugin interfaces on my latest Live sets up at the same time… just… cuz… I can 8)

2 instances of Nectar have been crashing Live on my old iMac, if/when I add the 2nd instance to the effects chain while the window from the 1st one still open :?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:41 am

I've just heard from my superiors that Ableton Live 11.2 (and newer) will not support the new Mac Studio computers. Sorry H2O, but you can always contact MacStudioComplaints@Ableton.com and see that they say.

:lol: