New iMac or Wait?? Apple vs. Intel [Solved]

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: New iMac or Wait?? Apple vs. Intel

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:41 am
I've just heard from my superiors that Ableton Live 11.2 (and newer) will not support the new Mac Studio computers. Sorry H2O, but you can always contact MacStudioComplaints@Ableton.com and see that they say.

:lol:
8O
:x
:cry:
Cubase probably doesn’t either

Garage Band FTW!!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:12 pm

H20nly wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:47 am
@Machinesworking - I’m still trying to figure out what you plan to do with all that speed. From a geek perspective it’s friggin awesome, don’t get me wrong… But from an everyday use perspective, how does it help?
Mostly SSD speed is a huge help with orchestral libraries. It's a silly pursuit, because I only do a little orchestral work, but doing that kind of thing is painful enough without waiting forever for the song to load. We're talking minutes to load with full orchestras. That's on 1500MB/s SSDs even. In terms of our earlier conversation about NAS, I'm not convinced yet that a NAS system doesn't have a hiccup in terms of latency if you're using it as an external SSD/drive? so the faster the throughput, the more likely the initial bump isn't there.

Man, you're going to have a blazingly fast system now, I think you'll appreciate the 7000MB/s internal drives once you experience the difference in load times!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:01 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:12 pm
orchestral libraries
Nah, that makes sense :idea:
A 10G NIC should help, but only if the Ethernet cables are CAT 6 and up and any network switch or router is also 10 G capable… otherwise you’ll bottleneck. I would think NAS units have more of a sustained speed in mind than short bursts… So it might be some kind of buffer load time you’re seeing if all the other links in the chain are “up to speed”
Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:12 pm
Man, you're going to have a blazingly fast system now, I think you'll appreciate the 7000MB/s internal drives once you experience the difference in load times!
Yeah, I’m super stoked. I decided I’m done putzing around… I also ordered a Babyface FS Pro to replace my Duet 2.
Goodbye slow load times. Goodbye choking CPU. Goodbye latency…
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:17 pm

H20nly wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:01 pm
I also ordered a Babyface FS Pro to replace my Duet 2.
You will love it, I'm a big fan. I bought that exact unit. They're expensive, but that FF800 has been just fine for 15 freaking years, and they gave it a stand alone mode, so it works as a 8 in/out AD converter via ADAT to the Babyface FS. So I can unplug some simple connections and take it with me without unplugging my entire studio. 8)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:35 pm

I've been debating a Babyface myself for portable use lately. Bought a UFX+ last year and was really happy to see how mature Totalmix had become. RME makes some amazing gear no doubt.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:15 pm

Yeah over the years (decade+ 8O) here I’ve seen nothing but praise for them… even when it comes to supporting ancient products on new operating systems.

My Apogee was a good investment and definitely took me to the next level when I bought that and a UA Twinfinity 710 pre-amp. The difference in quality was a leap…

The only thing is that as decent as the latency is with the Duet there’s still some trade off happening at lower buffer settings. I don’t want to compromise anymore, hence the RME purchase. Near zero latency is an exciting proposition
Last edited by H20nly on Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:33 am

Dup post

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:05 am

I got all excited about the new gear and temporarily forgot that this bleeding edge isn’t without its costs - beyond the wallet.

I just looked and saw that iZotope currently only runs under Rosetta, in most cases. The list of projected dates for full support looks like it will take several months, if not the rest of the year, to complete.

Besides iZotope, I need Live (and maybe Cubase) to work on day one. I’m really hoping AAS String Studio works too. Nothing else matters right now, since my current projects for the EP (possibly album) we’re working on don’t use anything else. Since it looks like it will be a minute… I’ll have to roll with Rosetta or stay on my old hardware.

With that said, what’s you guys experience with Rosetta?
What’s the catch resource-wise?
I’m going to have 64 GB of RAM so if, for example, memory usage is where the ding comes in… then hopefully I’m all set.
Any war stories to share or gotchas that can be avoided?

Thanks in advance for any insights. My only Rosetta experience comes from HL7 interfaces for healthcare electronic records systems… definitely not audio. So I have no idea what to expect

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:35 am

Ozone 4 and 8, Stutter Edit 1 and Nectar running fine here on Rosetta.
I find Rosetta to be seamless, with the additional power of the ARM chip far outweighing any extra overhead due to Rosetta. I just don’t think about it.
I run Logic and Live natively in ARM mode and the Rosetta Audio Units get translated on the fly.
The ding seems to be about 1% of CPU per translated plugin, as reported by Activity Monitor.

I know I keep pimping this Sweetwater video, but it contains pretty much all the info I didn’t find elsewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqr9qjNS2kU (skip to 5:22 onwards for the most relevant info)
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:48 am

8) sweet! Was hoping for that kind of response

Nectar, Neoverb, and Neutron are the main 3 I need.

I did recently discover the power of De-Clip from RX 9 on an old track from 2007 that had bad clipping on the bass line. But theoretically I could just export/record that audio to a new track now that it’s fixed… RX is a friggin modern miracle 8O Looking forward to getting past my noob-curve with it. I have tons of old material where polishing out the turd stains in the signal chain could be useful

I wish it could all run native, but I’ll take solid in the interim

Thanks for the link!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:53 am

Here's a more detailed look at everything Izotope thats running happily on my system - I can't even really tell you what's native and what's not at this stage...

MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Soundcloud

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:13 am

Boom! That’s got me pretty well covered!

On a side note, I love Sweetwater. Sweetwater sent me a bunch of links to check out to get the RME setup. I was looking at this link https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... y-guide/#c
… which made me come here to ask the folks I trust most about their experience with this kinda stuff…

Thanks for your quick reply Paddy. I was a little anxious for a few minutes there… Feel much better now :)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:32 am

You're welcome H! :D you saw what a Nervous Nancy I was prior to upgrading :lol:
Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:34 am

Sweetwater sends you candy, nuff said.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:28 am

i would like some candy