I have a Mono Quandary!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
see the light

I have a Mono Quandary!

Post by see the light » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 am

Howdy - I've been building a live set from my past productions using Model Samples as a slave to Novation Circuit. The reason for these two pieces of kit is purely speed of sequencing, to the point of playing the units live and remixing my various productions (mainly Tech-House and Melodic Techno)

Circuit is acting as the drum sampler and I've been using Model Samples for samples over 16bars - it works great for that purpose. My issue is this, I am aware of some of the phasing issues when converting the track stems into Mono for the purpose of Model Samples. On some of the tracks it's fine but the quality of the audio is really suffering for the melodic parts and the songs sound shit due as they aren't mono compatible it seems!

Do any of you have a work around for this kind of thing? Or do I have to accept the fact I need a stereo sampler with Model Samples type sequencing?
www.soundcloud.com/passerines

Audio Fuck Jiggery since 2005

siliconarc

Re: I have a Mono Quandary!

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:12 pm

you can try using just the left or the right channel instead of collapsing to mono,
sometimes sounds better here when doing similar with my digitakt (also mono)

remove the processing from your samples and use stereo verb/delay effects of the m:s instead ?

split the stereo samples into L & R mono files and use 2x hard-panned tracks on the m:s ?