Latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
waveformz

Latency

Post by waveformz » Sat May 29, 2021 5:11 pm

If I record a live session from one of pieces of externa; hardware gear into live via Midi to later covert to audio. Would I be "pushing the envelope" so to speak by trying to record multiple instruments like 5 or 6 or as many as my audio interface would allow? Concerns of latency and other things are hitting my mind and I'm thinking of upgrading my audio interface. Right now it's a PreSonus 24C. It's nice but I'm limited to two stero audio connections at a time. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a second audio interface or upgrade entirely and go to an 8-input setup. If so, would I still be reduced to having to record one or two tracks at a time or will a standard laptop running live 11 suite be able to handle and latency getting through at it?

And what is the better solution two smaller audio interface or one large audio interface?

Thanks!

oratowsky

Re: Latency

Post by oratowsky » Sun May 30, 2021 5:35 am

The main factors that affect latency are buffer size, sample rate, and plugins that introduce their own latency.

Recording multiple channels at a time and only a few shouldn't affect latency.

I recommend getting a single 8 channel interface for your needs.

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Sun May 30, 2021 6:14 am

I use Live in a four year old PC with not even an SSD, just a 7200 rpm HDD, and regularly record multiple tracks at the same time very smoothly.
I may be wrong, but I don't think it's possible to use two audio interfaces at the same time, at least on a PC. It's a good idea to buy an 8-input interface, plus you can always expand to 16 for cheap with a Behringer ADA8200.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am

as long as your hard drive and CPU are fast enough, you should have no trouble recording several tracks simultaneously, at low buffer settings (meaning you'll have low latency). most basic computer setups should handle this easily.

you can record multiple interfaces simultaneously using ASIO4ALL as your audio driver, BUT, trying to go this route is asking for trouble, as ASIO4ALL is temperamental and buggy with certain interfaces. Focusrite actually warns you not to use ASIO4ALL, because it's not compatible.

the short answer is that you should use a single interface with as much IO as you need, and always use the most up to date driver recommended by the manufacturer (in most cases, the ASIO driver they provide).

keep in mind, many interfaces can handle more IO than they have physical ins and outs. for example, an interface may support processing for 16 inputs, but only have 8 physical 1/4 inch/XLR jacks. you can access its additional IO using another expansion device with additional jacks. I use this kind of setup to track my band—my Focusrite interface has 8 input jacks, but can handle up to 18 input channels—it connects via an optical/ADAT connector to another input device (an old MOTU 8Pre), which has 8 more input jacks, giving me a total of 16 simultaneous channels of recording.

waveformz

Post by waveformz » Sun May 30, 2021 7:49 am

Thanks everyone...

I realize this is a bit of an explanation type of question so I was happy and think I understand the info I received. I've been looking it things a bit more an realized things like my motu midi express 5x5 is expandle - one option path I could take for midi. The other of course is the audio signal and it looks like from what you all basically said my machine and ableton should be able to handle the latency issues (if any) and the additional inputs. I guess I should look at getting maybe an under the monitor 2U or 4U rack setup for some additional inputs. I could use the additional simultaneous recording of the audio devices at time.

Thanks again... gives so much more to nibble on a research options. cost/flexibility/things like that....