Crashing every time I disconnect interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Re: Crashing every time I disconnect interface

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:02 am

DunedinDragon wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:48 am
fishmonkey wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:30 am
Vaultnaemsae wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:58 am
Yes, you're right. Crash reports have been submitted plenty of times. Just having a rant.
it's strange that Ableton haven't fixed this behaviour. i guess that there is some deep audio engine structure that makes this not straightforward to fix...
Yes...it's called multi-threading and is at the core of any kind of complex application. Just because you have one application running doesn't mean that application only has one process executing. In this case there are MANY processes going on which allows you to have a responsive system with very little latency. They could easily fix it if you'd like to try recording with 2 second latency between when you play the note and it gets recorded.
i am know what multi-threading is and your explanation doesn't explain why Live crashes when other DAWs don't under the same conditions. one of the main reasons why any application might crash or exhibit other unexpected behaviour is because something has changed that the included error handling code doesn't account for (actually some of the nastiest bugs to track down are ones where the code keeps on executing with haywire assumptions)...

DunedinDragon

Post by DunedinDragon » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:11 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:02 am
DunedinDragon wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:30 am

it's strange that Ableton haven't fixed this behaviour. i guess that there is some deep audio engine structure that makes this not straightforward to fix...
Yes...it's called multi-threading and is at the core of any kind of complex application. Just because you have one application running doesn't mean that application only has one process executing. In this case there are MANY processes going on which allows you to have a responsive system with very little latency. They could easily fix it if you'd like to try recording with 2 second latency between when you play the note and it gets recorded.
i am know what multi-threading is and your explanation doesn't explain why Live crashes when other DAWs don't under the same conditions. one of the main reasons why any application might crash or exhibit other unexpected behaviour is because something has changed that the included error handling code doesn't account for (actually some of the nastiest bugs to track down are ones where the code keeps on executing with haywire assumptions)...
Well then I guess you're stuck with doing the old tried and true method of not shutting off the audio interface before you exit since none of us that do that experience what you're experiencing. You can go ahead and report it to Ableton and maybe after they stop laughing and making rude jokes about you they might look into it....

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:16 pm

Let's keep it civil please, we don't allow personal attacks on the forum.
Ableton Forum Administrator

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:59 pm

luv wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:10 pm
Hey yall,
I have already searched the forums and support base and not found a fix, so hopefully this will help others (and myself!)

Every time I disconnect my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8) from my PC it crashes Ableton and ignores any attempts to boot it up until I do a full restart. I use a laptop and usually have Live running in the background so this is quite a buzzkill/creativity killer. Anything I can do (aside from constantly turn my interface on/off or open/close Live) .. I know that works but I'd like a more seamless and forgiving workflow, or would prefer to know what I can do in my PC/what's going on that's preventing it from starting up (or happening in the first place)
Any help much appreciated! Thanks!
turn off the sound interface in the live parameters to off before disconnecting if you don't want to close live (you even have a shortcut if you click on the CPU meter). but obvious solution is to close live before yeah it's not like it takes forever to load. You can't really expect that unplugging something while in use will work flawlessly. sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't. My MOTU doesn't allow me to put my computer to sleep; I just turn it off and it's fine.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:14 am

DunedinDragon wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:11 pm
fishmonkey wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:02 am
DunedinDragon wrote:

Well then I guess you're stuck with doing the old tried and true method of not shutting off the audio interface before you exit since none of us that do that experience what you're experiencing. You can go ahead and report it to Ableton and maybe after they stop laughing and making rude jokes about you they might look into it....
why the attitude?

i'm not one of the original posters in this thread. i do however use macOS, and sometimes with Aggregate Devices, which are a long-standing feature of Core Audio in macOS. if you are not a Mac user then this specific issue isn't relevant to you.

i investigated the crash mentioned in Vaultnaemsae's post, as i realised that it might be one of the reasons why Live crashes on my machine too. and i can confirm that under macOS, an Aggregate Device "disappearing" because one of it's sub-devices has gone offline does crash Live.

bpm.qa

Post by bpm.qa » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:03 pm

Hi all - if you have a crashing scenario with macOS/Windows and a specific soundcard as mentioned above, please contact the Ableton Support team so that this can be investigated and filed.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:46 pm

the latest update to Live 11.2.10 appears to have fixed the disconnected interface crashing behaviour on macOS.

you now get a friendly clickable warning instead of a crash: "The audio engine is off. Please click here to choose an audio device from Live's audio preferences".