To beta, or not to beta, that is the question...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

To beta, or not to beta, that is the question...

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:44 am

Behold! My shiny new 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max is here! So, time to copy the Live library over + all my current projects + install Live 11 full suite...

But do I install 11.0.11? Or since it's M1 should I just go 11.1b6? Pros/cons?

Will it just make my life easier if I install regular release suite and it'll auto-update when 11.1 is out? It's not like this thing isn't gonna whoop the arse of my old one, even running via Rosetta 2. Or is the beta nice and stable and at this point I may as well get the native version (and possibly even more solid than running the intel verison)? 🤔

Thoughts?

Tarekith

Re: To beta, or not to beta, that is the question...

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:36 pm

I’d go beta and get M1 support on that laptop if it was me. My new 16” Max will be arriving soon and that’s what I plan to do anyway. I pretty much always run the betas, even with my client work. Never been an issue and it’s easy enough to install an older version if you really need to.

Artcutech

Post by Artcutech » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm

So it’s not possible to have both the M1 beta and regular installed at the same time? On a side note, not sure if the M1 beta version of live is binary as in it can open up on an intel mac? But in the future it should be binary and this should be possible correct? So If someone has an arrangement made on an M1 mac with a native M1 version of live and brings it over to a studio that has the latest update of live on an intel mac it shouldn’t have a problem opening up and functioning?

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:01 pm

I think you can run them both. I just thought I want to keep this nice and "clean" so wanted the least messy setup. In the end decided to just stick the normal release on for now as I wasn't sure if beta will share settings or use separate ones etc, so it seemed the easiest. If I can get this all sorted in the next few hours I'll be recording with it tonight! :D (The old one will be there anyway though in case I've forgotten something.

Hopefully I can locate my current templates and settings and copy them over to save me the bother of re-making them, but not the end of the world if I don't have them tonight.

Artcutech

Post by Artcutech » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:16 pm

Piplodocus wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:01 pm
I think you can run them both. I just thought I want to keep this nice and "clean" so wanted the least messy setup. In the end decided to just stick the normal release on for now as I wasn't sure if beta will share settings or use separate ones etc, so it seemed the easiest. If I can get this all sorted in the next few hours I'll be recording with it tonight! :D (The old one will be there anyway though in case I've forgotten something.

Hopefully I can locate my current templates and settings and copy them over to save me the bother of re-making them, but not the end of the world if I don't have them tonight.
Exciting stuff! Mine comes in tonight also.

I feel ya about keeping things nice and clean.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:36 pm

Artcutech wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:16 pm
I feel ya about keeping things nice and clean.
New laptop = time for a good clear out for the first time in aeons. Have fun with yours! :)

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Congrats on your new beasts, guys! Looking forward to the reviews!

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem running the latest release and betas side by side...

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:43 pm

I might stick the beta on at the weekend then. Get going with the regular one and start being productive, then play about and see how much native performance increase I get when I have a bit more free time.