Keep Live open when closing a session file.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
RobertX

Keep Live open when closing a session file.

Post by RobertX » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:50 pm

I've been using Live on macOS since v4 and this still annoys me. Closing a session file by clicking on the close button should not quit the app. It's a close button, not a quit button.

dougdi

Re: Keep Live open when closing a session file.

Post by dougdi » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Every other app works that way, with Live you need to create or open a file to close the current session. It is odd.
Doug

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Never understood this myself. Right up there with using the key command for full screen mode doesn’t put Live in its own Space on MacOS.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:26 pm

+1. A more standard behavior.

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:15 am

You don't need to close anything if you want to keep working in Live.
Either press STRG+N (CMD+N) for a new session oder STRG+O (CMD+O) to load another project.
In both cases the Live instance will not close but replace the old with the new live set.
Only STRG+Q (CMD+Q) or clicking the close button will shut everything down.

@TheRobBec

Post by @TheRobBec » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:30 pm

MallorcaMalle wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:15 am
Either press STRG+N (CMD+N) for a new session oder STRG+O (CMD+O) to load another project.
In both cases the Live instance will not close but replace the old with the new live set.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't see the problem here unless I'm missing something. Literally, just start a new Live Set and you then have a blank slate without closing the program.

RobertX

Post by RobertX » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:46 am

MallorcaMalle wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:15 am
I'm well aware of that, but whatever workaround you use for Live's non-standard behavior is irrelevant. Closing a file should not quit the app, which is exactly what it does.

Der_Landvogt

Post by Der_Landvogt » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm

I'm with Robert on that one! I find it really annoying and weird that Live behaves in that way... Also I don't see any benefits of this behaviour.

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:06 pm

I know what you mean, and it's ok if you like it the other way. In Cubase for instance you close the project and Cubase itself stays open. You can load another project quickly because Cubase don't has to restart again. You can also close Cubase program, then the complete program shuts down. Or you can open other projects without closing the current project, then you have to activate the one you like to work on.

Actually, in Ableton you save one step (if Ableton is set to just load one instance in the preferences, which is the default). Either you want to end all your work in the DAW, then of course you close it. Or you want to continue working in the DAW but with another live set, then you just load another live set or start a new live set. In both cases Ableton stays open - it just closes the old live set for you.

I always like working in full-screen mode (F11) so I don't even see the closing icon. Only if I want to quit, but only in that specific use case, I press CMD+Q.

condra

Post by condra » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:12 pm

Would love to see this addressed at some point.