Ableton keeps crashing and won't open. Is it safe to reinstall?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
surgeanthem

Ableton keeps crashing and won't open. Is it safe to reinstall?

Post by surgeanthem » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:19 am

Hello!
I just tried to download a lot of arturia's plugins from their software center- it showed I had the ability to install seemingly all of their products.
Honestly, being blinded by the moment, I thought they weren't demos and the real thing- because it didn't say "demo" next to it. Turns out they were all demos, but the software center didn't catch that until too late, when I had already scanned with ableton for the plugins so I could use them.
That's when it all crashed and kept crashing and now I cannot open Ableton.
Do you think reinstalling Ableton would fix this? And is that safe to do?
Thanks!

AbletonMASCHINE

Re: Ableton keeps crashing and won't open. Is it safe to reinstall?

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:26 am

This could help but there could be the "price" that re-indexing doesn't work as intended.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-Database

... "At this point, Live will need to re-index all the content in the Browser. As this operation progresses, the contents of Live's Browser will begin to appear in their respective categories. This includes the content you have saved to Collections...."

However with a complete clean install you will loose your categories and taggs anyway.

P.S.: Without a working backup nothing is save.

H20nly

Re: Ableton keeps crashing and won't open. Is it safe to reinstall?

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 am

You’ve probably already fixed this by now but…

It sounds like all the plugins might be prompting for a license at the same time and crashing Live in the onslaught. Have you tried uninstalling them and then re-launching Live?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.