Ableton 11.1 is here, and the VST 2 workaround...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RaadsKoen

Ableton 11.1 is here, and the VST 2 workaround...

Post by RaadsKoen » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:20 pm

Ableton 11.1 is here and the VST2 workaround, i.e. to use multiple VST2 plugin directories, within one VST 2 custom folder does not work anymore...

it is simple, you created a directory (in the root), with shortcuts (is that the english terms) to the directories that contain the VST2 versions of the plugins.

it was already out there, that i didn't work, but not very verified.

now; verified.

i think there must be a solution, it is always strange that Ableton is the only DAW, or even program, that could only set one VST2 directory. well the workaround, worked well...

not anymore, shall try to find another solution.

and at ableton employees; why is this changed??????????????????????????????????????????

RaadsKoen

Re: Ableton 11.1 is here, and the VST 2 workaround...

Post by RaadsKoen » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:10 pm

well, i answer myself in a seperate post;

using symlinks works, i prefer that, i don't gonna drag my dll's....

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/

but still; why not what all DAW's do (well that can also be seen as a good thing....) and all other programs that can load vst2 plugins...
well, this a tradition i think with live, small irritation...

when done, it works....

and great update, but why Is SIMPLER not simple MPE????????????????

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:13 pm

My workaround:
I've copied the VST2s into Ableton's VST2 folder. Additional consumption of drive space and more maintenance work if these VST2 are updated.

Nevertheless VST2 is dead anyway:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... scontinued

RaadsKoen

Post by RaadsKoen » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:24 pm

AbletonMASCHINE wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:13 pm
My workaround:
I've copied the VST2s into Ableton's VST2 folder. Additional consumption of drive space and more maintenance work if these VST2 are updated.

over 2 years, indeed, but there will still be a few VST2 left, i think, most i have will be VST3, or recently has VST3 versions...
or dead, when you use cubase.... the support, or new licenses for VST2 didn't also kill VST2... as everyone said..
and i believe, but i am not a DSP programmer, the VST3 sdk, or JUCE, can still complile VST2??????

it is indeed a way to copy all, or there are different solutions, dragging with dll's....

why i have 4 vst2 plugin directories? could at least be 2 or even 1... well it isn't a problem for cubase, bitwig, reaper, maschine, reason, etc.

and it wasn't a problem for ableton. and now again no problem.

symlinks do work, if someone want to do that, less space and less maintenance..

but as always, whay you are used to, and like, or simply; used to...

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:07 pm

AbletonMASCHINE wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:13 pm
My workaround:

VST2 plugins are not. There are plenty of VST2 plugins that don't have a VST3 counterpart yet, and probably never will get one in the future.
VST2 plugins will be around for quite some time so it is a bad move from Ableton to remove support for shortcuts since this is a workaround many, many Windows users rely on.
Using symlinks is not as easy as shortcuts and converting everything to symlinks also takes time for the (frustrated) user.
I think it would reduce the pressure on the support if the option had not been removed.

VT2

Post by VT2 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:55 am

So i did not understand - removing support to recognize vst2 folders thru shortcuts this is bug or intended decision ?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 am

I see it as intended because the drop of support for shortcuts was mentioned months ago in the beta forum, yet Ableton released the update without fixing it.
Maybe Ableton sees it as a bug and will fix this in an update, but that's too late for such an important feature.

VT2

Post by VT2 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:52 pm

Rivanni wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 am
I see it as intended because the drop of support for shortcuts was mentioned months ago in the beta forum, yet Ableton released the update without fixing it.
Maybe Ableton sees it as a bug and will fix this in an update, but that's too late for such an important feature.
I got reply from ableton support and he say this is bug and will be fixed in next release.
Rivanni wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 am
but that's too late for such an important feature.
What "too late" ? Can you elaborate please.

Reefius

Post by Reefius » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:40 pm

It would annoy the crap out of me if my VST2 plugins were scattered all over the place in multiple folders. I always install VST2 plugins in the same folder on an external SSD. It only takes a little work to keep things organized, but it can save you a lot of headache.

VT2

Post by VT2 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Reefius wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:40 pm
It would annoy the crap out of me if my VST2 plugins were scattered all over the place in multiple folders. I always install VST2 plugins in the same folder on an external SSD. It only takes a little work to keep things organized, but it can save you a lot of headache.
Presence of vst2 plugins in different locations is not always the user's choice. Although these are rare cases, yes, but they do exist (example - Soundhack plugins).

Secondly, the very ability to add only specific plugins to the Ableton environment (by adding shortcuts, as well as simply removing them), is a very convenient process as for me, so as not to clutter up the workflow and the browser with unnecessary tools (beta\demo releases etc, what i usually test in other DAW) as well as avoid additional scanning time at startup.

So each may have different tasks and meanings. If you do not use it - not a problem, but let there be a choice for those who have a sense in this.

josefreak

Post by josefreak » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:31 pm

Haven't we all submitted a feature request for being able to add as many folder locations as we want in the Plug-Ins Settings panel? I think I've requested this feature like 5 years ago and I've seen may others request this feature. Why is this so difficult to implement?

VT2

Post by VT2 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:40 pm

josefreak wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:31 pm
Haven't we all submitted a feature request for being able to add as many folder locations as we want in the Plug-Ins Settings panel? I think I've requested this feature like 5 years ago and I've seen may others request this feature. Why is this so difficult to implement?
Well, in principle that would be solution too. (It seems Live the only DAW in which there is no such option). But again, shortcuts very good alternative for this. I even would say, perhaps better \ more quickly solution than multiplication of strings of locations in settings section.

perrycomo

Post by perrycomo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:56 am

My solution fixed it easily... roll back!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:14 pm

I don’t understand why people don’t simply install all their plugins to a common folder. It’s simple to do and to change the path in each installer. If you forget, most cases you can simply move the plug-in or just reinstall it correctly. Makes things so much cleaner and easier to manage.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:10 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:14 pm
I don’t understand why people don’t simply install all their plugins to a common folder. It’s simple to do and to change the path in each installer. If you forget, most cases you can simply move the plug-in or just reinstall it correctly. Makes things so much cleaner and easier to manage.
It wouldn’t be so bad if plugins were more simple and consistent with installation. But some companies have some weird ways of installing things where you end up having to go back and re-install if you’re not realizing certain characteristics.

A big example for me is how some companies might install an entire folder that the plug-in will be nested inside of. So then the next plug-in from that brand, perhaps I’ll put it into that folder… but now it’ll make a folder inside that folder. Etc

Simply moving files afterwards is definitely something I’ve learned not to tamper with unless the plug-in itself is very simple.

Having a pool of all the shortcuts made it really easy also to troubleshoot problematic plugins. If they’re all installed in the same place……. and it’s already a very sensitive work area.. on top of Live only allowing a single directory for plugins. It’s just not convenient at all.

So yeah. I agree that it ought to either be ‘repaired’ to its previous mechanic, or the feature for additional directories ought to be added. Expecting people to have ongoing success with installation is unnecessarily aggravating.