VST scanner stuck

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RedSkyRoad

VST scanner stuck

Post by RedSkyRoad » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi,

Each time I open settings and go to the Plugins tab, the scanner is stuck in the scanning mode. Which files can I delete to reset this behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
B
AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

RedSkyRoad

Re: VST scanner stuck

Post by RedSkyRoad » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:22 pm

After installing new VSTs, the plugin scanner just scans and scans and doesn't find anything new. Both VST 2 and VST 3 64bit
AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:54 pm

RedSkyRoad wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:22 pm
After installing new VSTs, the plugin scanner just scans and scans and doesn't find anything new. Both VST 2 and VST 3 64bit
no that pos scans always, no matter anything was added.
Its a pain on older systems. on newer systems its okay, but still, i havnt added any new plugin, nor deleted any, the scan is pretty useless than. :roll:

I just wish there was a way to turn it off.

If i want to scan, i want to press it on my own and not being forced on older systems to wait through it :roll: :twisted:
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:14 pm

RedSkyRoad wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:49 pm
Hi,

Each time I open settings and go to the Plugins tab, the scanner is stuck in the scanning mode. Which files can I delete to reset this behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
B
Delete all files that are not related to plugins. Also remove shortcuts to folders that are not necessary for plugins.

Live's scanner not only looks for .DLL or .VST3 files, it checks through every file and every folder and follows every shortcut. It even follows a shortcut and checks out all of its subfolders.

However, you can't always delete all shortcuts to folders. Plugins from Bluecat and u-he put such folders or folder shortcuts in the plugin folders, containing resource files and presets. If you have both VST2 and VST3 versions installed you have those folders or folder shortcuts twice. A single u-he plugin means scanning at least 5000 files that are not plugins. With both VST2 and VST3 this means 10.000 files.
If you have such plugins the thing you can do is use only VST3 and ditch everything VST2 (or vice versa).
And as I said at the beginning, move or delete anything from the plugin folders that don't belong there, and be wary of folder shortcuts.

I really hope Ableton improves scanning by simply filtering for the correct file type and also stops scanning every time Live starts.