Reinstallation of Ableton Live 11 Lite Following OS Reinstall

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
StevePostPunk

Reinstallation of Ableton Live 11 Lite Following OS Reinstall

Post by StevePostPunk » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:20 pm

Any help would be appreciated.

I run Windows 10 on a Lenovo Ideapad S340 laptop. The short story is that I had to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. I did two image back ups, and neither appeared to save everything. I had kept the Ableton installation files on an external drive, so I launched those to reinstall the program. It reinstalled without errors.

I had several key plugins: Modo Drum, Modo Bass, Syntronik 2, and Sample Tank 4. I was able to access them, but I had to "reauthorize" them with IK Multimedia. That worked. I also reinstalled my Focusrite software to get the Red Compressor and EQ plugins that come with a Scarlet 2i2 USB interface.

So, I got to the point where I could play these software instruments in Ableton without incident, but then I tried to load in the '.als" files for some songs I recorded. Some of the samples were apparently missing, and I can't find them. If that were the only problem, I'd probably be OK. However, now the program crashes immediately when I reload certain .als files. And for one of them, I get an error saying it is missing VST2 plugins for MODO Bass and MODO Drums. I don't believe these were ever VST2 Plugins. They are and were VST3 plugins. Also, when I used Ableton before the Windows 10 reinstall, the plug in interface asked for a directory for VST Plugins (as opposed to VST2 or VST3). That is no longer showing on the interface.

It seems like there is something I botched with locating the plugins, but I can't figure out what I did.

All of this started because I added RAM because my memory and CPU were overloaded by certain songs.

Thanks.