Mac Studio and Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Mac Studio and Ableton Live

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:26 am

I am a PC user, but I am considering moving over to MAC. Today, Apple announced the new Mac Studio. I was wondering exactly which configuration of the Mac Studio would be best for Music Production with Ableton Live. What chip would you get and how much memory would you purchase?
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Machinesworking

Re: Mac Studio and Ableton Live

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:16 am

All of this depends on what you do with Live, and other applications you use. I think if you don't do orchestral work then you really don't need more than 32GB RAM, but we can always use CPU power. Some things are going to be much better if you get it internally. So the internal SSD is twice as fast as any external SSD, like around 2800MB/s external compared to 7000MB/s. So even though it's expensive, the internal SSDs are worth the price, get what you can afford. Graphics are more about other programs, if you do a lot of video work then it's a consideration.

I have the M1 Macbook Air, the M1 ultra is a possible 3-4 times faster CPU wise and much more powerful GPU and SSD wise, and I'm pretty happy. I think any configuration of Mac Studio is going to be amazing with Live. IMO don't skimp out on the SSD though, the speed is worth it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:21 am

Oh and if you watched the "event" did you notice them using Ableton Live as well as Logic when they showed musicians? That was pretty cool I thought, good on them for not just selling Logic.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:13 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:21 am
Oh and if you watched the "event" did you notice them using Ableton Live as well as Logic when they showed musicians? That was pretty cool I thought, good on them for not just selling Logic.
Yes, I did see that in the livestream today. I wish they would have shown more of her impressions of the Mac Studio with Ableton Live. It seems to me that they definitely spent more time with the people who were doing video editing and animation.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:32 am

The “entry level” M1Max Studio (32GB) will be great for Live. Source: I have that config in the laptop version. I would go for that, with the biggest SSD upgrade at purchase you can afford. As Machines said, unless you’re working with huge sampled instrument libraries and the like, 32 gigs of RAM is plenty.

The Ultra benefits are really found in the graphics cores for pro video creators. Video is part of what I do professionally, and again the M1Max I have is still wickedly sick for video.

So yeah, my recommendation would be the base M1Max Studio with as big an SSD bump as you can afford (since it can’t be upgraded after purchase).

If you can give us more details about your music production workflow we can give you more specific advice, if you like.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:53 am

I would go Ultra on the CPU. I have always found a way to kill any CPU I've ever run, and Live loves a good CPU killing. :twisted:

You won't use it now, but you will use it years from now. New plug ins or Max patches will tax Live. I got the Air mainly because I'm a nerd and a fanless laptop as powerful as a 6 core I7 MacBook Pro is pretty much golden chalice tech junkie stuff of legends. :x

I will probably buckle in the coming months and get one of these when money starts flowing in again. Mostly because I'm pushing the Air beyond it's GPU limits.

DJ_312

Post by DJ_312 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:55 am

Do you guys have any experience or recommendation about buying Mac's?
Is it better to invest 3K in to a pimped out Mac Studio Max or 1.5K in to a Mac Mini and buy a new one in 5 years?
The Mini is only available in 16GB and unfortunately you can't upgrade Macs anymore.
I'm running a used/old (2013) Mac Pro with 16GB and the constant CPU overload sucks.