Pre-Fader Metering?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

Pre-Fader Metering?

Post by buckman » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:58 pm

This maybe asked a lot, but coming from Logic, does Ableton Live 10/11 have a setting for Pre-fader Metering?

I can't really see much online, or much about it?
Correct me if im wrong and missed it!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Pre-Fader Metering?

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:55 pm

I'm not sure what a "pre-fader metering" would be in the case of a track volume fader, tbh...
but if you leave your fader at unity, then you'll basically get a "pre fader" metering.

When an audio track is armed, you're monitoring the direct input (i.e pre-fx), though. Is it what you're actually asking for? Or am I missing the point of your question?
Ableton Forum Moderator

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:53 pm

When you add a bunch of volume altering inserts to a channel, with pre fader metering you can see the actual level before reaching the fader so you can adjust those plugins accordingly to gain stage but as you suggested bringing the fader to unity does just that. With pre fader metering the reading shows the signal level coming to the fader no matter where the fader is, so in a mix situation it is easier to see if any of the channels are clipping before reaching the fader.
In Ableton meters between devices help in this situation and that is what I use.

buckman

Post by buckman » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:09 pm

ozinga wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:53 pm
In Ableton meters between devices help in this situation and that is what I use.
Can you explain what you mean here please? Do you mean the difference between the light green and dark green in the same Meters?
And which is which? :)

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:38 pm

Yes:)
On the bottom there are meters between each device. If one is in red that means the signal is clipping because of the plugin before that.

Check the meter on this image after the utility plugin. It goes into red which means I need to lower the gain on the utility plugin. As you can see all meters before that are green so they are OK.
Hope it is clear :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu11tor8nlbtc ... 4.png?dl=0

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:29 pm

ozinga wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:53 pm
in a mix situation it is easier to see if any of the channels are clipping before reaching the fader.
Well, that's simple: if the volume goes above your track fader value , whatever this value is, then it means that you are "clipping".
Just to be clear, you are not actually clipping!!!
Ableton Forum Moderator

juno106

Post by juno106 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:40 am

The short answer is no.

I come from an analog background via logic and now Ableton. I use gain staging which, due to the lack of pre fader metering, is difficult to do in Ableton. I wish they would add this as a feature, especially now I use lots of analog modeled plugins which are sensitive to input gain.