Automatic plugin migration (VST2 > VST3)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Alfonx

Re: Automatic plugin migration (VST2 > VST3)

Post by Alfonx » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:38 pm

mrweasel wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:20 pm
Updating to KK3 deleted KK (Komplete Kontrol) from the VST(2) folder to create a KK instance in the VST3 folder.
That's all well and good, but now I'm kinda screwed and so will thousands of people relying on the KK wrapper when they use the Native Instruments controllers.
Anyone in the same boat?
Same boat here!
Just realized the update to KK 3 deleted the VST2 Version. What’s wrong with NI?!?
And no NI instrument can be loaded in KK 3, nothing works.

So i will install the last Version of KK 2….
There is an Support-article about that:
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ows-System

So the REAL Problem is we are dependent on the software! In 10 years they ask you:
Hey silly music producer! Why did you use vst3 you know there is already VST4…
So the main problem is there is no „auto migrate“ process.

There should be automatic migration to vst3 when you open a project with vst2-plugins and the system has an VST3 Version installed.

Perhaps the developer at steinberg have a solution but it seems the manufacturer of the VST-Software/DAWs do not support this….?!
https://soundcloud.com/alfonx/sets/alfonx-tracks
Hey there! I create and remix music in the genres dance/pop and electronic/techno.
PC & Mac. Live 11, push2, NI S61 and tons of softsynths...

COLINROBOT

Post by COLINROBOT » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:38 pm

It's nearly 2024 and Ableton Live 12 is on the horizon with new ways to search and swap out samples etc but still no way to swap out VST2 with VST3 . If you took the time to make this possible it would make Ableton future proof to new VST versions and or Company updates with new reference numbers. When DAW companies drag their feet on these things they eventually loose customers . Just think about someone with hundreds of projects who with one update of a VST has made all those projects unusable because Ableton just say's no. Surely your DEVs can sort this by now rather than just making the GUI more colourful and stackable .Come on get it together I've been using Ableton for years I don't want to have to learn a new DAW

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:58 pm

In case this has not been mentioned yet, it would be good to see in browser and in project which format the plugin is. No way to tell now whether you are opening vst3 or 2. Also at the project level: a list of plugins (and whether on at all by user or by automation, plus their formats) would save lots of hassle to have it visible in browser so that you know regardless if the project is saved in a newer AL version without opening.

D-One_

Post by D-One_ » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:16 pm

+1
Please? Pretty please?

Dont force me to go and manually duplicate each track, save the preset, change the VST on the dupe, and delete the original, that's a lot of steps to do in tons of projects.

aerosolj

Post by aerosolj » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:54 pm

+1 so needed

ozark2001

Post by ozark2001 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:11 am

+1 super useful feature now that Steinberg forces peoples hand wrt VST2.