Need Help. Ableton hangs when freezing tracks or bouncing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cortaudio

Need Help. Ableton hangs when freezing tracks or bouncing

Post by Cortaudio » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to ableton. I mixed a project for Warner Bros. Mix is approved I had no issues printing the final mix and exporting an MP3. Now they need the deliverables for mastering, so I'm looking to export the versions in WAV. However, when I try to export, it hangs at 22%. I thought maybe I needed to freeze some tracks, but when I do, it hangs at 22%. I took off the audio engine to see if that would help, but same thing. Restart, power down, all of that, still hangs at 22%. I was on an M1 mac mini, so I switched computers to a 6 core I7 2018 Mac Mini with 64GB of RAM to make sure it wasn't an M1 issue. Sadly it does the same thing. I don't know what I can do at this point. in Pro Tools, I would create a new session and import session data into it in case the session file was corrupted. I tried creating a new set and dragging the old set into it, but It didn't bring my markers, automation, returns, or plugins over, just the audio.

This is very time sensitive, so if there is anyone who can help this noob out, I'd be very thankful!

Tarekith

Re: Need Help. Ableton hangs when freezing tracks or bouncing

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:39 pm

Make sure all your plug ins are up to date, this is usually what causes this sort of issues.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Cortaudio

Post by Cortaudio » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:39 pm

I went through this morning and updated my plugs thinking that was the issue. And now, I got it to export, then they had more fixes. I exported three versions, then on the fourth, it hung on the export. I don't know...I'm just going to keep restarting and trying hopefully I can get through this.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:21 am

Ensure you dont have any duplicates of plugins.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:58 am

Have you tried to export in AIFF or FLAC? Maybe what ever is causing the glitch has to do with something specifically with the .wav conversion process.

Also, you mentioned WB. If this is for film scoring, maybe the overall length/size of the track is getting in the way. I feel like I remember there being a limit to the size of .wav files... I just can't remember what it is. What happens if you try and export a smaller portion of the set by shrinking down the loop brackets?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

guitar346

Post by guitar346 » Mon May 29, 2023 12:01 pm

Cortaudio wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:38 pm
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to ableton. I mixed a project for Warner Bros. Mix is approved I had no issues printing the final mix and exporting an MP3. Now they need the deliverables for mastering, so I'm looking to export the versions in WAV. However, when I try to export, it hangs at 22%. I thought maybe I needed to freeze some tracks, but when I do, it hangs at 22%. I took off the audio engine to see if that would help, but same thing. Restart, power down, all of that, still hangs at 22%. I was on an M1 mac mini, so I switched computers to a 6 core I7 2018 Mac Mini with 64GB of RAM to make sure it wasn't an M1 issue. Sadly it does the same thing. I don't know what I can do at this point. in Pro Tools, I would create a new session and import session data into it in case the session file was corrupted. I tried creating a new set and dragging the old set into it, but It didn't bring my markers, automation, returns, or plugins over, just the audio.

This is very time sensitive, so if there is anyone who can help this noob out, I'd be very thankful!
Hey, were you able to solve this? I have the same issue. For any Ableton set, if I work on it enough, it will start hanging on every freeze or export. Any tips would be appreciated!

limelust

Post by limelust » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:31 pm

Hey all,

had this problem today with a bigger file. What fixed it was was doing a collect all and save as I realised I had brought some new parts in. after doing this is stopped hanging! Hopefully this helps for your situations too

Hayberry ilk

Post by Hayberry ilk » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:24 pm

Had same issue, was freezing at 28% when trying to export. I tried collect all and save, didn't work for me. I then recorded all the tracks that had MIDI to audio, as well as any tracks with external plugins on them to audio, and success! Oh man I tried a hundred diff things and when it finally got past 28%, to 29% and beyond, oh what a feeling of relief. Thanks for the heads up about plugins, that must be it. External plugins corrupting stuff, makes sense. Wasn't going to go through and update every external plugin, so committing every track to audio made sense and it worked! Hooray