Transport Pause - mapping an external MIDI controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thirdspace

Transport Pause - mapping an external MIDI controller

Post by thirdspace » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:18 pm

So I note that you can mimic a transport pause function by pressing Shift-Spacebar on the keyboard, but I would like to remote control this function with an external MIDI controller. How can I do this when there is no pause button on the GUI? Thanks in advance

Rivanni

Re: Transport Pause - mapping an external MIDI controller

Post by Rivanni » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:00 pm

The only solution I know of is to use a Max for Live device.

For example https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... secontinue (two buttons)
or https://maxforlive.com/library/device/5 ... e-playback (one button)

thirdspace

Post by thirdspace » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:00 am

Thanks that's really helpful - I'll try that out

SynthFan

Post by SynthFan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:55 am

This is a late reply but this may help someone else.

I was trying to achieve a pause and resume in Live 11 using a foot pedal with Arturia mkii 61. Options cited elsewhere in the forum for a key mapper included:
  • MidiKey2Key - might be fine for extended purposes but too complicated for a simple mapping
  • Bome - this failed for me on Windows 11
I suggest CoyoteMIDI which has a simple interface and super easy setup. Of course it requires a virtual loopback MIDI device. Of the options listed I installed LoopBe1. Its only feature is an on/off toggle and both minimize to the system tray.

I setup in/out as suggested, connected the pedal to the expression socket and recorded the action to map pedal to Shift+Space... works great!

Additional detail: What took longer was figuring out how to control external devices from Live tracks after introducing the loopback. Live MIDI setup changed so that LoopBe1 is the only input. My mkii controller has 2 in and out devices). I had to select the first output device as the output type in order to transmit MIDI to external keyboards.

uglyugly

Post by uglyugly » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:16 am

I ended up using Bome MIDI Translator Pro for play/pause on my Windows 10 laptop. Originally, I wasn't having much luck getting it to work. What I realized was, Ableton was stealing the MIDI channels that the Bome software uses. The key is to start Bome first, make sure it works, then fire up Ableton. Sometimes, at startup, I need to unplug and reconnect my foot switch for Bome to recognize it, but it does work reliably after that.

COBOMOJO

Post by COBOMOJO » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:37 pm

I found a way to map pause internally to the L7 transport key on the Roland A Pro series. This Roland piano series comes with a pause button which was never mapped to anything internally for Ableton. For any midi instrument which has a momentary midi button and uses a control surface in ableton, it can be mapped according to this github repo:

https://github.com/CoryWBoris/Roland_A_PRO

Neither an M4L plugin nor any plugin was necessary for this method.

I could see if I could make a similar functionality for the Arturia mkii 61, I'd imagine a solution would work similarly to how I implemented it for the Roland synth

Valkon

Post by Valkon » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:07 am

I use the Key Switch from Plogue Bidule for this purpose. That is, if you wish, you can find more than one way out of this situation, but it is not clear: why don’t developers simply place this treasured button on the graphical interface?